Coverting a Pattern to a Larger Size

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 7
sfstokes wrote
on Jul 3, 2012 9:46 PM

I want to knit a loose fitting sweater in roughly a size 5XLT (68 inches around and 31 inches long), but the pattern I want use only go up to 3XL (52 inches around and 26 inches long).  The sweater is knit in 3 parts, back, front right, and front left. Using a conversion tool, I was able to figure out the number of stitches to cast on, but I am having trouble figuring out how many stitches to decrease by for the underarm shaping.  I have decrease on all parts of the piece.  Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to convert this part of the pattern?

Here is a link to the pattern ... http://www.universalyarn.com/pattern.php?pattern=147 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 627
salmonmac wrote
on Jul 4, 2012 4:51 AM

Very good looking sweater. Use the gauge that you're getting on a swatch with your needles and yarn to tell you how many sts /inch and rows/inch you get. Measure how big you want the armholes to be and calculate how many sts to bind off at the arm openings. For the slope on the front of the sweater,measure the distance from where you want the beginning of the front decreases to the end and also measure how wide you want the front to be near the neck. Use the 3x pattern decreases for the front as a guide and figure out how often you need to decrease on the fronts to give you the slope you want.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS