Chart Knitting - a different approach using your smart phone or other recording device.

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jul 5, 2012 12:59 PM

I recently started a project that involved extensive use of a large chart (32 row repeat).   Prior to starting I knew that reading this chart such was going to be a challenge for me visually and I started looking at other ways to get the job done.    I enjoy audible books and thought why not use the same vehicle for chart knitting.   I thought of utilizing the Voice Memo capability of my smart phone to voice record the entire chart, row by row.  I started by creating a complete paper chart so that I could read off of it and refer to it in case of doubt.  I then recorded each row as it should be knitted, recording each stitch (or groups of stiches) at a pace that I could keep up with (visualizing each stitch helps me with the timing).   When ending a row I would then label it with Row#'s.  Although it takes a while to voice record,  you only record the chart once, it made it easier for me to then listen to the knitting sequence than to visually go back and forth on a chart.  This method also allows me to take my chart knitting whenever and where ever I have my phone with me.  I can listen via the speaker phone or use the head phones.  I can also stop the voice memo if it get too far ahead, allowing me to catch up.  You can also back up the memo and replay.    I have now finished this project and I know that for me, this was the easiest way to accomplish the chart, which by the way, came out extremely well considering the complexity of the design.  I don't believe I could have done as well with reading off the chart  (too many opportunities to read it wrong or transpose, etc).   I also believe that I made better progress using this method .   I hope this approach will be useful for those who want another way to chart knit.    I know I will certainly use it again on my next chart-project.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 668
salmonmac wrote
on Jul 6, 2012 5:07 AM

That's an imaginative and very clever idea. Thanks very much for posting!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
toyelf wrote
on Jul 12, 2012 10:08 AM

Wow, what a great idea!  Thanks so much for sharing, there are times when traveling that I don't carry along my more complicated graphed projects for this very reason.  Now you've given me a way to make them more portable!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 12, 2012 4:55 PM

Hi Janine, 

I saw the same idea done.  There was an advertisement in a knitting mag i was reading where you just download the software and read the pattern in and can control the pace of the reading the stitches, length of time in between stitch sequences, i.e.,.  I can do same thing on my Olympus Digital recorder so don't have to take the paper pattern with me.  Say if each of 8 lace rows is a different instruction I record each in a separate "file" so I just "click" to the file and don't have to back up.  Convenience to have it available to play wherever I am going too!  I just love it when we think ahead!  Don't have to run down my phone battery. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
jennajasmin2 wrote
on Aug 8, 2012 5:21 AM

Yes very true. This is very imaginative idea. Whether its from a magazine or an original approach Its a nice way to be on track. 

Knitting is all about passion. U shd be creative just like choosing a party dress for a special party. Creation + passion = happiness.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS