I am a Canadian knitter

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Oct 6, 2008 2:56 PM

Hi everyone reading this~I was in a knitting a christmas stocking class at Joann's the other day and the teacher told me I cast on weird. I told her that's the only way I know how to cast on. I am a Canadian. She told me oh, you knit the British/English way. Are there several different ways to cast on and knit? So is this true, because I was taught to knit by my Canadian grandmother I knit different? Do you know? Please answer.

LeslieHmm

Leslie S. Kling

Johnstown, CO

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Goldberry wrote
on Oct 9, 2008 8:41 AM

I'm a Canadian knitter too. :)

There are so, so many ways to cast on! Cable cast on (which is what I do most often) and long tail cast on come immediately to mind, but I'm sure there's lots more. If knitting in the round, lots of people use the continental method, which holds the yarn in the left hand, I believe. There's lots of online tutorials and info. I know that knitty.com is a good place to look, as well as Beyond the Basics in Interweave Knits magazine. And the How To button at the top of this page has lots of info too.

And tell the folks at Joanne's for me that it's "cast off", not "bind off", would you? Thanks, eh!! :)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
JeriM wrote
on Nov 14, 2008 9:48 AM

I hate to admit this, but years ago when we finnished knitting something, we did bind off our stitches! Now, I think twice when I see the cast off any way you slice it, it is all the same.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Nov 14, 2008 5:14 PM

Hi...

I'm a Canadian knitter too...but orig taught by my German grandmother. So I do mostly knit continental style. However I taught myself to also knit w/ the yarn in my right hand to make it easier when doing colorwork...1 color each hand...or 2 in left hand + 1 in right occasionally. I will always be a much stronger/ better knitter w/ continental style...it's faster too. Glad to know other styles to help others as well.

As for cast-ons...there are countless ones out there. Some work better for some purposes than others. My basic one is a variation of "around the thumb...pick up a loop". It works well for me w/ a good stretchy edge for ribs. If doing something such as a scarf/ facecloth/ afghan where you want the cast-on/ cast-off edges to match...I make a crochet chain w/ the yarn (not WY) + pick up the back loop of each chain on a knitting needle. As well, the last st on crochet hook will be your 1st st on the knitting needle. This way both edges look almost identical. Chain loosely enough to stretch as needed.

It's a shame that a knitting teacher would call anyone's efforts weird. They are just different. I usually ask "how they do that"...always open to see a new method. With the Internet making everything Global....I've long since stopped paying any attention to different terms that mean the same. Only when there is a difference; say in some crochet sts do I pay attention.  Differences make the world interesting!!!

Take Care,   Andrea

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS