pattern to use up leftover yarn

This post has 14 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
sandra@2 wrote
on Oct 21, 2008 6:36 PM

i have lots of yarn leftover from various sweaters, etc.  they are of all different weights and content.  i am looking for a fun and easy way to use them up in either a scarf or afghan/knit or crochet.

i made a few scarves casting on 150 stitches, gartner stitch, changing yarn every few rows and leaving ends as fringe!  i am looking for new ideas!

sandy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
LanaW wrote
on Oct 22, 2008 11:45 AM

I would try making a sweater using the "Domino Knitting" by Vivian Hoxbro, similar to modular knitting.

Lana

Not Ranked
Posts 2
JeriM wrote
on Nov 9, 2008 8:17 AM

I use every golor, weight, and type of yarn in afaghans, always using1 constant color throught, and then using the oddbaLLS, most likely using a # 11, or larger circular, moss st. or garter st. makes this a great one to do while watching t.v. another idea would be to knit slippers. Ive several good patterns for these, kid-adult if needed, my e/mail  is    jmad1@sbcglobal.net

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Scotkat wrote
on Nov 11, 2008 6:48 AM

You can crochet slouch Berets with insperation left over yarn can be very effective .

Not Ranked
Posts 2
DanaP wrote
on Nov 11, 2008 3:32 PM

I, too, save leftovers of everything.  To make it worse (or better, depending on your point of view), everyone I know that works with fiber gives me their leftovers, too.  I have three big square rattan baskets.  One has worsted weight left overs in balls or skeins; the next has really small balls and bits; and the last one is tiny pieces of scrap yarn -- from a few feet to snippets.  I use the first bigger batch to be incorporated into major projects -- for intarsia, sometimes for fair isle stuff, any time I need just a skein or less of something.  The second batch, when it gets too full, gets added to a piece of rug canvas.  (Usually have to double the strand and these are sort of randomly added in.  Right now, the 4 x 5 piece I have seems to be turning into some sort of mountain range with a sunset (sunrise?) in the background -- all based on the bits of color and how they seem to want to be arranged.  I only work the needle; the design builds itself).  The last bin with the smaller pieces go into stuffing dolls and toys or armigurumi creatures I build occasionally for little presents. 

All the fancier yarns and fingering-weight things are in a pretty little painted chest I have.  I use these as little presents or sometimes incorporation in other projects.  I try to give little gifts of fancy yarn to my nieces or young knitters I know with a set of needles and a little book of patterns.  I don't give lessons professionally, but I have apparently inspired a few relatives to take up knitting or crochet.  Even my grandchildren like to play in the yarn box and ask me if they can everytime they visit.  More knitters in the making?

Not Ranked
Posts 13
LuanneR@2 wrote
on Nov 19, 2008 3:47 PM

Try the Oddball Shawl from frankenknits.  See the website for complete directions and photos.  What you do is, you roll up big balls, tying together 3-4 yard lengths of lots of yarns, putting the colors and textures together any way you like but keeping the tied ends about the same length.  Then you knit a simple bias shawl on a fairly big needle (you can also do a scarf just by making it narrower or, I suppose, an afghan by making it wider) without stopping to run in the ends.  You pull the ends to one side of the finished work.  The results are warm, soft and beautiful.  It's a bit of a funky look, not for everyone, I suppose, but gets a lot of admiration.  It's one of those projects that looks a lot more difficult than it is. 

(Hi, I'm Lutie.  50-something longtime knitter, attorney, singer, mother of five and stepmother of two.  From Chicago, where it finally, really is winter.)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
janetstearn wrote
on Jan 5, 2009 5:21 AM

I live in Alice Springs at the moment and foster children. I cannot get much in the way of wool but I have sourced shepherd 4ply all odd colours and I had a pattern by Jean Greenhowe with small teddy bears which I am knitting at a rate of knots. My 7yrold luvs them I cam knit a body part in minutes and it satisfys me as I am at least knitting.I have just got a simply knitting mag which has animals and noahs ark. Any extra will be given to the volunteers at Alice Springs hospital for the children in the hospital. It is the most remote place I have ever been in terms of getting any creative supplies and I may have to resort to undoing secondhand knitted jumpers.Has taught me to be resouceful in ideas. Also have crotcheted flowers for bags. I dont have a left over problem as such just supply and it is expensive here too so no waste Janet in ALICE SPRINGS aUSTRALIA

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Jan 9, 2009 12:51 PM

You can use your left over yarn to make these lovely Pocketbook Slippers, they're super easy and quick to knit..you can knit a pair for each family member! :D

It's what I'm planning on doing with my leftover yarn and with all my balls of acrylic yarn that are not enough for anything other than small projects...

Rita Martinez oller
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16
"Porque de tal manera amó Dios al mundo, que dio a su Hijo unigénito, para que todo aquel que cree en El, no se pierda, mas tenga vida eterna." Juan 3:16

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
on Jan 27, 2009 12:21 PM

There are some great patterns here:

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/oddball.htm

Here are some interesting ideas for crochet:

http://www.crochetme.com/dont-waste-your-yarn

In Stitches,

Crafty Matthew 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Mary Ann wrote
on Jan 28, 2009 3:10 PM

Thanks, Rita, for including the link for the "pocket book slipper".  I was wanting to start knitting slippers to keep on hand for when visitors come and take off their shoes in my home.  My house is always on the cooler side so these will be quick to make and keep in a basket by the door.  Thanks again.

This is my first visit ot this forum.

Mary Ann

Not Ranked
Posts 1
dabtex76 wrote
on Nov 29, 2012 3:58 PM

Thank you for the patterns I am going to do the Window Pane Hat & Pocket Book  slippers  Have a Great Holiday from knitter from Simonton, Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 10, 2012 3:07 PM

Hi All,

I just came across this and thought it was inspiring for using up left over yarns.    http://knitting.about.com/od/scarfpatterns/p/stash-scarf.htm

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
craftydel wrote
on Dec 13, 2012 11:38 AM

I made a pair matching pair of almost fingerless gloves, working up the fingers so that just my nails are exposed. Great for typing!! Grouping together similar weighted yarn that matched and contrasted. I made them stripey in the hands, with stocking stitch, some thicker strips with the most yarn, thinner with the least. Each finger in a different colour and pattern, one garter, one reverse stocking st, one moss st, tho I don’t recommend that working in the round, difficult to keep the pattern with the decreas sts, the thumb ribbed. Really funky!! They were only a practice piece to see if I could make gloves on circular needles but now have to make loads more for godchildren and friends who love them.

I would post a picture if I knew how!!

Del

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 13, 2012 4:19 PM

Hi Del,

I'll post instructions below for how to get your pics in.  You change the size you want your photo to be by typing in a different number inside size box.  Would love to see you gloves.  In fact if you like put them up over at "Fabulous Project completed lately" Topic under the Knitting Chat Forum.  

Kathleen Cubley:

Hi KALers!

Here's how you upload photos:

1. Click on the little green filmstrip icon (near the yellow smily-face icon) above the text area. This will bring up a box labeled "Insert Media." There are three tabs on top; stay on the "From Computer" tab (unless you're uploading a photo from a website or something).

2. Click the "browse" button on the right side of the box. Choose your photo file from your computer and double click on it.

3. Click the "insert" button and, like magic, your photo will appear.

Questions? Please reply to this post.

Kathleen

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Lindsayavril wrote
on Dec 14, 2012 1:53 AM

These slippers are just the right pattern for leftover yarn and not alot of time to knit. Thanks for letting us in on this project.Idea

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS