scratchy yarn

This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
adens_pilot wrote
on Aug 10, 2012 4:17 PM

I'm new around here, so if there is a thread on this already, please let me know where it is and I'll be DELIGHTED to read it. 

I'm a fairly new knitter. I have made 2 blankets, a number of scarves, but I've never been brave enough to do any color work or shaping. I am, however, branching out into new fiber. i have some 50/50 llama wool blend that i'd like to make into a scarf. Problem: I want to make sure it's soft because the recipient is not itch tolerant. 

the internet said I could add a few drops of conditioner to the water while I'm blocking. Does that work? 

Suggestions? 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Aug 11, 2012 2:54 PM

Dear Adens,

A couple drops of fabric softener in the water will help.  However I would recommend a good wool wash designed for natural fibers.  Two of the best I have found for softening wool or wool blends are Kookaburra Wool wash with lanolin and Eucalan Wool wash.  Both of these can be found on line at any knitters supply website or at your local yarn shop.  I often use Kookaburra Delicate because it doesn't contain lanolin which I am sensitive to and I often knit with cotton and alpaca, both of which do not need to have the lanolin.  Another thing to look for in a good wool wash is tea tree oil as one of the ingredients.  Tea tree oil is a natural insecticide which helps keep the moths away.

Mary

Ravenwood Designs

Not Ranked
Posts 2
adens_pilot wrote
on Aug 11, 2012 3:04 PM

Thanks a lot! I was worried I'd have to go in search of a new yarn. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 14, 2012 3:21 PM

hi adens_pilot

Since the itch or prickle factor is highly subjective, according to info.  You may do well to consider exactly how itch tolerant she/he is.  I understand of course, you want to use you yarn.  The internet says alot of things, but it's the feel of the llana wool blend on the individual recipient that has the last say.   If it's not a surprise, I might do a small test swatch and show her/him to see what it really is like next to the skin.  If it's going to be worn over a coat collar maybe it won't be as critical.  Just my suggestion. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
janendicott wrote
on Aug 14, 2012 8:24 PM

The diameter of the fiber determines how soft the fabric will be. Llama can be fine and soft, but generally is not. Choosing the appropriate fiber with end use in mind is very important. Llama is generally used for outer wear not garments worn against the skin. Why not pick a softer yarn like merino that is sure to please?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS