Need help Grafting in 2x2 rib

This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
FeliciaL wrote
on Nov 4, 2008 6:31 PM

I have knit a beaded scarf in 2x2 rib. The pattern calls for kniting from the ends so that eventually you have to graft the 2 pieces together. I cannot figure out how to do this. Some directions I found are for 1x1 rib, but this isn't working with the 2x2. Any suggestions?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Nov 5, 2008 12:06 PM

Hi Felicia...

I may have found something to help you. I was just @ this site for something else + this caught my eye.

www.knittinguniverse.com/downloads

Click on "techniques" on the left side of the screen, then scroll down to "grafting illustrations". You will see a pic of 2 "aran knit" afghan sqs + a book cover. If you click on this you will find diagrams for grafting these 2 sqs that I think will help you graft your scarf. Makes sense to me anyway.

Good Luck,   Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Nov 5, 2008 12:15 PM

Hi again...

Just had another thought based on my knitting machine use. When you end something on a machine but don't want to actually cast off yet (for later grafting?) you knit several rows of waste yarn then take the pc off the machine.

You might want to consider knitting 3-4 rows with a smooth/ slightly thinner (crochet thread?) yarn + cast off loosely. If you do this to each side, you can then lay them flat on a table + see what is going on as you graft. Will help you see what step is needed next too. You won't have to have knitting needles in use @ all this way...+ you can stretch over a finger or whatever to get the proper tension.

When you have it all grafted to your satisfaction...you can just ravel off the WY.

Let me know how you make out, please,   Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 2
FeliciaL wrote
on Nov 6, 2008 10:52 AM

Thank you so much for trying to help me out! I have talked to countless knitters and no one is able to give me an easy answer. I like easy!!

Both of your suggestions are similar in that I need to look carefully at each stitch to know whether to go in knitwise or purlwise. I think I like your second suggestion. I am going to give it a try. I will let you know what happens. Felicia

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Nov 6, 2008 11:09 AM

Hi Felicia....

I will add 1 more thing I thought of last nite after posting here. You will most likely find that there will be a 1/2 st "jog" in the join. This is because the 2 pieces of knitting are not "going" in the same direction. They are heading towards each other. So that means that they have to slip 1/2 st left or right so the sts mesh + continue on. If you were grafting st st you wouldn't even notice. With rib you will see a slight jog. You will probably have to pu a st @ one or both ends to make it work. With careful darning of the end thread...you won't even notice @ the edge.

Take Care,   Andrea

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 33
qwer246 wrote
on Sep 27, 2012 1:18 PM

Look at verypinkknits on youtube.com hope this helps let me know how you get on

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS