crochet

This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Nancy@2 wrote
on Nov 27, 2008 12:26 PM

Hi: I've have been crochet for many years from diagram.  Recently I am trying to learn crochet by written instruction as it is hard to get pattern with diagram in North America. Could someone explan to me what is " Weave in loose ends as work progresses" please?  I picked up a Crochet World magazine from the local bookstore, that is the first sentence with every instruction in the magazine.  Thanks in advance.

Nancy

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ShannonF wrote
on Nov 28, 2008 8:00 AM

Your ends cannot be left and just cut because your crocheted piece will unravel.  I work my new crochet stitches around the top loops and the loose ends by aligning my loose yarn ends with the edge I am working on.  Hope that helps.

Shannon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Nov 28, 2008 11:03 PM

Hi Nancy...

They are only trying to tell you to "darn in" your ends/ tails as you go so that you aren't left with a whole lot to do @ the end. If you've been crocheting for years...you know when + how you want to finish your ends. Patterns are just "suggestions" in my opinion. The direction I take it is my choice. Never met a pattern yet that I didn't want to "tweak" just a little!!!  I wait till I'm all finished before I darn in my ends. What if I find an error (mine or the patt's) + want to rip out? So much easier if I don't have sewing to contend with!!!

Those of us that are familiar w/ diagrams I think have an advantage. We are used to thinking + inventing as we go. I prefer them as I prefer charts in knitting.

If it's OK to ask...where are you from? Since you said that it's hard to find diagram patterns in North America...I'm assuming that you've moved here. It's wonderful how there are people here (KD) from all over the world.

Hope this helped...Take Care,   Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Nancy@2 wrote
on Dec 2, 2008 9:44 AM

Thanks, Shannon.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Nancy@2 wrote
on Dec 2, 2008 11:40 AM

Hi Andrea:

Thanks for your tips.  I came from Malaysia and I used to buy Japanese Pattern magazine.  I moved to Canada almost 20 years ago and have stopped crocheting cause of busy lifestyle. But recently I pick up that hobby again. Have a good day.

Nancy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Dec 2, 2008 10:05 PM

Hi Nancy...

What kind of patterns do you like to make?  doilies/ clothing/ ???

If I know what you may like I will keep my eyes open for a good source + pass on anything I see.

I've only seen Japanese patterns in bits + pieces online...never seen a book of them. What I've seen intrigues me though.

Not sure where in Canada you are...but the weather here in Nova Scotia would make me wish I hadn't left Malaysia....brrrrr!!!!  We should have lots of crocheting/knitting weather this winter when it's too cold outside.

Take Care,    Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Nancy@2 wrote
on Dec 4, 2008 3:55 PM

Hi Andrea:

I always do doilies, tablecloths(table cover) and poncho, and recently I like to try to make clothing, which I think is more appropriate here and there is a large selection of beautiful wool in the store as well. If you see something online, let me know.

I am in Alberta and you said that you wish you haven't left Malaysia - Do you mean you came from Malaysia as well? Our winter for this year is so far so good, just hope that we will get some snow for the X'mas.

Bye and keep warm, Nancy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Dec 4, 2008 7:10 PM

Hi Nancy...

Thanks for answering. Sorry if I wasn't clear...I was meaning that in your position I would be wishing I was back in Malasia due to the cold weather. Actually I was born in Syracuse, NY. Back + forth living on both sides of the US/ Canada border + travelling quite a bit in the US...my parents finally immigrated to Nova Scotia permanently in the early 1970's. I married a Canadian in 1976 + we've been here in this area since.

Next spring we are actually hoping to sell our house here + head towards the west coast to see if I feel better there. My husband will take early retirement (temporarily) until we decide where we want to live. BC appeals because it has a good attitude towards alternative medicine...as well as we are both used to living near an ocean. However we are open to all possibilities as long as they are healthy....no cities...thanks!!!

Our little bit of snow is now gone...but I've heard we have weather coming on Sunday. I too would like a white Xmas as long as it stops snowing afterwards!

This link is to the Seraphina shawl. You may have the pattern already or heard of it? The written directions were around for quite awhile but a lot of people had trouble w/ them. Then someone made a diagram of it + they got permission to post it on Crochetville so everyone could benefit. If you scroll down to post #2 you will see the diagram version. There is also a "streamlined" version of the written directions below that. I did make this shawl but before the diagram came out. I would have enjoyed it MUCH more w/ the diagram. Mine is fairly heavy fr a bag of mill ends that I got for $5 in colors I like. I just use it around the house when I'm cold...due to it's shape it stays on your shoulders better + mine can cross my front + pin @ my back waist.  I have seen some truly beautiful versions online in everything fr a sock yarn to Noro. No limit to what yarns you can use...work as long as you want.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74666

A few st patts:

http://www.jessica-tromp.nl/crochet_stitches/crochet_stitches_haaksteken_19.htm

a rose ornament/ doily? they also have software I think + if you look @ the bottom there is a link to "1850 pattern" which is a pillow top combo: written + diagram...+ link to: "samples" for more:

http://www.nhswinc.com/subpage4.html

A link to some diagrams of bits of Bruges lace:

http://www.beadsky.com/brugge.php

If any other ones show up I'll pass them on. Hope something here is of interest.

Take Care,   Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Nancy@2 wrote
on Dec 31, 2008 12:12 PM

Hi Andrea:

Season's greetings.  Thanks for the web sites' addresses and I will check them out when I've time.  Didn't reply to you earlier cause I was on holiday and just came back last night.  We went to Orlando for 15 days and stayed in Toronto for a few days visiting friends and relatives.  I did a ribbon scarf during my holiday (from written instructions).  BC has lots of small town which is prefect for retirement and quite life.  Check out Sunshine Coast and Vacouver Island.  We always go to BC and explore the small towns during summer cause we love nature and hiking.  I am iving in a small town with about 9,000 population. I don't like living in the city, which is too fast pace for me. And the price to pay for living out of towm - at least 1 hour to go to work every morning. 

May God bless you and your family

Nancy 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 4, 2009 11:28 PM

Hi Nancy....

So nice that you got to escape winter for a couple wks. Your end of the country seemed to get it worse then. Now we on the East Coast seem to be making up for it. Just got blown/ shoveled out fr the last batch @ New Years + I hear we have 2 more storms fronts heading our way...oh goodie!   Hope you didn't get all caught up in the travel madness we saw on the news. Made me glad we don't fly anymore.

The ribbon scarf you made...was it the one by Veronik Avery on Knitty.com?  "Lace Ribbon Scarf".  I'm deciding between making that one for myself or the "Victorian Neck Cosy" on www.wendyknits.net  I have this beautiful skein of handpainted merino fingering that I won from Allison @ Simply Socks a few mths ago. I keep looking for just the perfect pattern for it. I think the Victorian neck cosy is winning though!!! I would have to make an abbrev version though as it calls for 2 skeins...or add another yarn?  It's a free pattern + has a chart to knit the lace if you are interested.

We can't wait to see BC...+ definately the smaller places...we hate cities too. I'm hoping no long commute though as my husband will be able to be partially retired if he wants. We are going to think very carefully about a lot of stuff before we settle again. Health will be #1 on the list...for living + work.  Hopefully an area that welcomes creativity also.

Take Care,   Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 4, 2009 11:37 PM

Hi again Nancy....

I came back as the next post I started reading was this one where they they were discussing the "Maggie Wrap" which was in the latest batch of free patts fr KD. It was said that the patt was all crochet charts...so I thought of you. Not sure if it's "you" as I don't know your style...but maybe a gift also? Anyway:

http://www.knittingdaily.com/forums/p/1703/23907.aspx#23907

Perhaps you've already checked it out fr the e-newsletter?

Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Nancy@2 wrote
on Jan 5, 2009 4:22 PM

Hi Andrea:

We were lucky that we don't have to sleep on the Airport floor (Ha Ha).  We left 2nd week of  Dec and came back after New Year,  the weather was good and there wasn't any delay. I think it's my pay back time now, the weather is going to get nasty again on Wed.

The ribbon scarf I made is a free pattern from Knitting Daily by Sandi Wiseheart and it's called "Get The Skinny Scarves". Since this is my first time using written instruction to crochet, I tried something very simple.  I do have the pattern from Veronik Avery and maybe will try it for my next project. The "Victorian Neck Cosy" is very beautiful and I have download it into my computer.

I am going to learn how to knit for now, cause lots of beautiful patterns are combination of both crochet and knit. 

Bye for now.

Nancy

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Nancy@2 wrote
on Jan 5, 2009 4:32 PM

Hi Andrea:

I read this message right after I sent you the reply.  I already have the maggie wrap pattern downloaded to my computer. And I have to find a light weight yarn to make it for summer wear. And I really love that patter, cause it's 100% me. Thanks for thinking of me when you saw a crochet chart.

Bye,

Nancy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 5, 2009 8:29 PM

Hi Nancy...

I promise I won't "bother" you very day...but thought of a blog you may be interested in. I had downloaded the pattern last yr as "hearts" are very special to me. Our anniversary is Valentines Day + my business name is "Heartfelt Creations". Anyway, the lady is fr Indonesia so may prefer all crochet charts as you do?

http://my-pattern.blogspot.com/2008/02/my-heart-coaster.html

I have a copy of a scarf pattern here that has a chart as well as the written directions. It's fr "Stitch 'N : The Happy Hooker" but Patons had it on their site as well...free. I looked for the link tonite for you, but don't see it. I emailed them to ask. Will pass on anything I find out.

You definately should learn to knit too. They compliment each other so well...can't imagine not knowing both. Though I have to say...knitting is slightly my favorite!!! if you run into any problems...feel free to ask for help. If you need to get my attention...you can always email me @ home through here.

Take Care....Andrea

ps...when I proof read this I noticed the "missing" word after "Stitch N'*****. But when I come back to edit it...it's not missing???   Must be something in the computer that thinks it's a BAD WORD...not a BOOK TITLE !!!   humor for the nite!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Nancy@2 wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 1:07 PM

Hi Andrea:

Please don’t feel you're bothering me when sending me messages.  I really appreciate all your tips and helpful web site addresses.  What an coincident, because I just read Thata’s blog from Dinamic crocheting corner before I read your message,  I could read and write her native language (Indonesia) as well.

Bye

Nancy

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS