Disappearing Free Patterns!

This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
MichaelaJ wrote
on Nov 28, 2008 2:00 PM

Would y'all please, PLEASE tell us when you are removing patterns? That way we get a last chance to download them. I've missed out on patterns this way.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
ShelleyR wrote
on Jan 15, 2009 3:52 PM

I can ditto this. I do miss all the free patterns that we used to have. Being a faithful subscriber, I figure that I am not such a free loader that free patterns should be lost, entirely.

Shelley

Not Ranked
Posts 1
LeenaP wrote
on Feb 19, 2009 5:20 AM

I would like to know if I am allowed to send a pattern to someone by e-mail. A pattern I´ve found here, Knitting daily, for free, but which isn´t available anymore. You can´t find the pattern for sale either. Is it a violation of copyright if I´d help her out and send the file? I am not asking for opinions, I want to know for sure. Sandy? Thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
bsteph wrote
on Feb 19, 2009 1:00 PM

What?

Free patterns are removed?

I had no idea. I would have saved some if I'd known it's not a permanent archive. I don't knit that much that I can make things right away...it can take years.

I would appreciate some more transparency on the free pattern policy and notification on removals, please.

Who would we contact about this at KD?

knittywitty 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
JoeR wrote
on Feb 19, 2009 3:09 PM

I have to agree on this.  Especially as the patterns don't seem to be archived.  I do not download patterns often as I rely on public computers (by choice) for my internet interactions.  With all of the various books, pattern pamphlets, etc. that I own, I have to draw a line somewhere - printing off all the patterns I get captured by would make for another huge stack in my already cluttered knitting life.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
LeslieB@3 wrote
on Feb 20, 2009 6:21 AM

When I discovered that free patterns expire, I started downloading them and storing them right away unless I have absolutely no interest in them.  Patterns that don't seem interesting at first often catch my attention later, and then I can go back and look at them again.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
JudyS@2 wrote
on Mar 26, 2009 8:42 PM

I agree with MichaelaJ on this.  I printed out a pattern that I believe was from KnittingDaily.com but can't find it again.  Everyone at the LYS must think I'm crazy. 

This was a pattern from tahkistacycharles.com (pdf form) for their Side-to-Side Garter Stitch Vest that is very popular in my area.  I've checked the Tahki Yarn website and can't find it there, either.

Judy2spin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 1, 2009 12:03 AM

Hi Judy...

Not sure how much this will help...but maybe @ least validate you!!!  This link will take you to a page w/ a knitalong for a vest w/ the same name. Under "materials" they list the name of the booklet. As well, under that I clicked on the link for "corrections" + found the whole name of the booklet. "Terra Collection by Tahki Yarns Spring/ Summer 2008"

http://www.planetpurl.com/community/knitalongs/terra_garter_stitch_vest/

If you do track down the booklet...don't forget to go get the correction!!!   Maybe knowing the name/ date of the book will help you track it down?

If you google: "Side-to-Side Garter Stitch Vest "  you will even get your comment here!  Also you should get to see some pics of it on peoples blogs maybe.

Good Luck .... Andrea 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 1, 2009 1:48 AM

Hi again...

I found it..I found it!!!!   By sheer accident I tripped over this while cleaning up my inbox. In an ad on an old KD email....voila!!!!   So I came back.

http://www.tahkistacycharles.com/kd313

There is also a link for the scarf pattern here (slip st one/ Blooming Colors) as well as a link for  "more free patterns".

Can you tell this made my nite?!?!   I printed it off for myself as well....looks comfy!!!

Now we are both happy.....Andrea

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 27
shayb wrote
on Apr 7, 2009 12:40 PM

The pattern you all are talking about is from a different site, a site we have no control over.  I would encourage you all to contact their Customer Support department and let them know how you feel about patterns disappearing.

The free patterns that are listed here on Knitting Daily, have expiration dates within the pattern details, so you know how long you have to download that particular pattern.  Some of our patterns are available indefinitely.

We try to make that clear within the pattern, but by all means if you find a pattern that the expiration date is not clear within, please let us know.

Many of our patterns are from designers outside of our company, and we have limited time contracts on them to give them out for free.  Then the rights go back to the designers and we can no longer distribute them for free.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
ConnieR wrote
on Apr 8, 2009 12:03 AM

I was very happy to find and purchase a copy of Interweave Knits Summer 2006 issue at my LYS.   I am hoping you can help me find four patterns that were in the  issue.  These four patterns were in the magazine with the heading Great Gifts.  Thay are Pricilla Gibson Roberts  Bazaar Socks, Ellen Sibelius Carosel Horse, Kate Gilbert Pea Pod Baby Set, and Nicholette Hoyer Make Believe Crowns.  With the patterns was the direction to go to www.interweavepress.com for the pattern instructions. So far I haven't been able to find them.  Can you help?

wrote
on Apr 8, 2009 6:32 AM

Thank you for explaining why some free patterns disappear. You should consider adding that information to the top of the Free Patterns page so that we are reminded each time we look for something we remember seeing in the past. You also might mark each pattern that has a limited download availability with an asterisk in the title line, or under the thumbnail picture, so that we know we might not find it again.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
orion wrote
on Apr 9, 2009 11:01 AM

Hi Connie,

Here is what I found:

Bazaar Socks:  http://shop.knittingdaily.com/store/p/708-Bazaar-Socks.aspx

Make Believe Crowns:  http://shop.knittingdaily.com/store/p/703-Make-Believe-Crowns.aspx

The Carousel Horse is not currently available through Interweave.  We are working on trying to renew the contract with the designer, so keep an eye out on our online store:  shop.knittingdaily.com

The Pea Pod Baby Set is not currently available through Interweave either.  You can go to Kate Gilbert's website at:  www.kategilbert.com to see if you can get it directly through her.  She just released some sought after patterns, so maybe if enough people ask her she will release this one as well.

Thanks,

Shay Black
Interweave Customer Support Manager
customerservice@interweave.com

Not Ranked
Posts 6
orion wrote
on Apr 9, 2009 11:02 AM

Linda,

Those are great suggestions, and I will be sure and pass them along.

Thanks,

Shay

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JulieS@4 wrote
on Apr 9, 2009 1:55 PM

Yes please notify, I have been searching for the Stag Bag Pattern since it disappeared and I wanted to make it for 2008 Xmas.  I was hoping you would be the storage resource; so I would not have to print ... in case I wanted to make.  So much greener.

Thanks,

JS

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS