knitting needles

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
cindi wrote
on Dec 2, 2008 3:16 PM

for a beginner knitter.........which set of interchangeable needles is best?   Boyd?  Bates?    other????   

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Dec 2, 2008 7:44 PM

Hi Cindi...

I don't own any one set of needles but have a wide variety of brands/ types. Some I like...some I HATE. I've been knitting for about 45 yrs. My advice is not to go spend the $ on a whole set of anything. Wait + try out a variety of N's before you commit to one. When you've found what works for you...then by all means treat yourself to a great set of N's knowing that you are going to be glad you have them. It's possible you may even find you like different types of N's for different kinds of knitting/ yarn wts/ fibers. You will never be sorry to have a few "extra" sets of N's around. Never have too many KNs!!!

Take Care,    Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 4
JacquelineS wrote
on Dec 8, 2008 6:04 PM

I really like the Knit Picks interchangeable needles.  They have nice points and are reasonably priced. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ajsgramma wrote
on Dec 30, 2009 7:03 AM

I have several different sets & like something about all of them. If I'm using small needles I prefer the Hiya-Hiya's. I love their cord. If I'm using a slippery yarn I prefer the KA Switch bamboo needles. I finished a hat using my Denise needles the other day & the cord weight was perfect for that project. It's all a matter of what works best at the time. I sometimes even change needles for different areas of the project I'm working on. I don't own Addi's or KnitPic's or Web's but have most of the other popular brands. I like the swivel cords on the hiya-hiya's & KA switch needles.  The Boyd set is OK to have for nearly every needle size in one place.  (((HUGS)))Verna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
BeKKnits wrote
on Dec 31, 2009 12:20 PM

I don't knit with interchangeable knitters, but I do like Boyd.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
BeKKnits wrote
on Dec 31, 2009 12:21 PM

I don't knit with interchangeable needles, but I do like Boyd.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
BeKKnits wrote
on Jan 2, 2010 8:22 AM

I am sorry. I just realized that I like Boye not Boyd. But that is for smaller needles, because bigger needles sound pretty bad scraping together if they're metal. My apologies.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Mammadonna wrote
on Jan 12, 2010 6:01 PM

My personal preference is Knit Picks Options.  I have all three sets, the Nickle, Harmony wood and Zypher (acrylic).  They are the easiest on my hands, less stress and strain.  I have many straight needles from the 1970's (aluminum) up to today( Rosewood & Bamboo) but rarely use them.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS