Please help with some pattern ideas for rayon yarn

This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
anghelrox Indifferent [:|] wrote
on Dec 9, 2008 8:05 AM

Hi,

I just bought some rayon yarn of the internet (it's made out of viscose ...). The yarn itself is quite nice, shiny, very soft and rather slippery. It makes for some fast knitting.

Still, I have a problem! Whatever stitch I tried to use, it gathers and loses its' softness and shine. This mainly happens with the purl stitch, but also with other stitches and in usual patterns that I've tried (simple ribbed stitch, elementary drop stitch pattern, etc.).

I'm asking for your advice, as I have never knited this kind of yarn before. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...... How would you knit such a yarn? Would you use a certain kind of pattern?

Thanks a lot,

Roxana

Not Ranked
Posts 4
WynneK wrote
on Dec 10, 2008 4:15 PM

I think stockinette is the best stitch to use for rayon. This is a challenging yarn, but the few times I have used it, stockinette looks the best. But nothing will look as pretty as it does in the skein....

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Lyn50 wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 12:50 PM

Hi, I agree with WynneK, stockinette stitch would be best. I've knit this top a few times, in Rowan Calmer and once in such a slippery shiny yarn that you describe. It turned out really well.

http://www.knotions.com/patterns/magknits/picovoli/directions.aspx

I didn't do the picot edge, just left it plain. Once you get going it works up quite fast.

Regs. Lyn

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS