knitting a scarf

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 7
caroline wrote
on Dec 10, 2008 4:47 AM

Should one block scaf? I assume so. what other final steps do I need to do to make the scarf a beeter presentation.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Dec 12, 2008 7:16 PM

Hi Caroline...

Depending on the fiber + st pattern used you may or may not need to block. Look @ the scarf. Does it seem like a bit of shaping/ arranging would make it look better...more "finished"? Then by all means block it. It certainly won't hurt it...done properly.  It may also make the fibers seem a bit softer  + "set" in the st patt.

As with any finished item...check it over to see if there are any loose ends or holes that need tidying up. Any tails need to be securely sewn in + trimmed. If you should happen to spot a dropped st (oh no!) take a bit of leftover yarn + carefully secure it so it can't ravel. If you put a fringe on it...make sure that all the knots are snug. Just generally check it over...then enjoy wearing or gifting it.

Hope this helped a bit.....Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Barbara@10 wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 3:56 PM

Don't block ribbing or raised work by flattening.

Look at care instructions and stay within limits of them. For raised work/ribbing you can put it on a towel and steam by holding a steam iron near to get it damp. For superwashable yarns sometimes I wash the item then dry it flat, pushed into shape.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS