standard weight symbols

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Leslie h.H wrote
on Dec 29, 2008 11:52 AM

Hello - I'm new to this - exciting to get a chance to talk with knitsters!

I've been reading "Knitted Jackets" by Cheryl Oberle - one of my favorite teachers and designers - and love several patterns. I've several yarns in my stash that might work, but they were made before those standards (the numbers 1 thru 6) were started. So I'm wondering if there is any place you could send me to see if I can figure out what numbers fit my stash yarns?

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about stash busting that much, except that I've got a new dog who loves yarn. I used to leave it around, displayed in pretty baskets, but that's not an option any more. So everything I've managed to save from the Monster is now stored safely - but I'm out of room! 

Thanks for your help!

Leslie

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Chris wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 1:21 PM

4 is medium and probably 4 ply worsted, 5 is chunky/bulky, sport/dk is 3 ply and is probably 3, my lace weight is 1/superfine, sock yarn i have heard compared to fingering and is bigger than lace. You can see how overlaps make it confusing.

0 lace = fingering

1 superfine = sock/fingering/baby

2 fine = sport/baby

3 light = dk/light worsted

4 medium = worsted/aran/afghan

5 bulky = chunky/craft/rug

6 super bulky = bulky/roving

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 989
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 4, 2009 10:37 PM

Hi Leslie...

I've found this chart to be very helpful. Not all yarns have the #'s. As well...we all have a "bit" of stash some of which is probably "vintage"...no #'s...I know I do!!!  Plus some yarns fr other countries may have different labels.

http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html

I keep a copy of this in one of my pattern binders + find it helpful. As well, the site has other charts such as sizing, etc. Links on the left hand side.

Take care,    Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Leslie h.H wrote
on Jan 5, 2009 4:28 PM

Thanks, Andrea! That's exactly what I was hoping for!

Knit on - Leslie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
SherryP wrote
on Jan 6, 2009 6:25 AM

Thanks from me, too, Andrea! I bookmarked the yarn weight page on my browser (odd, I've started a "Needlecrafts" bookmark folder. Does this suggest I'm obsessed? Tongue Tied I also have a stash of yarn from long before the present sorting system was developed.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
arhamaryan wrote
on Feb 3, 2015 12:59 AM

I am a member of Ravelry!  I haven't had time to use it much though.  Great idea to swap the yarn.  It is so pretty  I am sure that someone would be able to find a use for it.

Thanks Mandy!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
arhamaryan wrote
on Feb 3, 2015 1:06 AM

Sometimes you can request a sample card from fiber/yarn sellers. I would definitely ask if you are unsure of what you might get. You don't want to waste precious money on something that sounds wonderful and isn't at all what you thought it would be. Good luck.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS