Jane Austen knits

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Macca829 wrote
on Aug 29, 2012 9:30 PM

I don't know about anyone else - but I have tried to get past the first row on the bookmark to no avail! I know I have ripped and ripped out three dozen times - pattern for the lace makes no sense. I follow it to the t and still end up with extra stitches

directions are incomplete and I've been knitting for 40 years!

anyone else

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 669
salmonmac wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 3:51 AM

There a correction to the pattern chart but I don't think it affects the first row. http://www.knittingdaily.com/content/JaneAustenKnitsCorrections.aspx

From  the chart, it looks like you begin row one with 22sts. You'll increase one st on the first row (there's that one yo that doesn't have a decrease with it). How many sts have you cast on or how many sts are on the needle before you start the chart?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Macca829 wrote
on Sep 1, 2012 3:45 PM

I am totally upset with this pattern - I have never, ever had one stump me like this one.

Cast on 22 as pattern requires.

I've started with 22st. Increased on the first row - done everything I know - I even tried starting off with 18 trying to make the pattern work - it does not work

Then I came across a stitch I've never even heard of and can't find it anywhere - it shows up in the third row. It's: sl 1, k2tog, psso.

Now I understand this it's slip one stitch, knit two together, but the psso?? And NO where can I find anything to reference it with.

I even went to a local yarn shop and they were stumped. One of the women said she's heard nothing but complaints on this magazine. Pity because there are so many gorgeous pieces.

If anyone can help, I so want to make this,but my frustration level is getting the best of me.

Thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
lenorae wrote
on Sep 2, 2012 7:13 PM

PSSO = Pass Slipped Stitch Over

It's a method for decreasing a stitch.

I had to learn this for a project I just completed.  If you go to www.youtube.com and type in PSSO you'll find quite a few videos on how to do this. So in your pattern you'll slip 1 stitch, knit 2 stitches together, than pass the slipped stitch over the stitch made from the k2tog (the pass over is the same type of pass over you use to bind off). Therefore, you'll decrease your stitch count by one. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 669
salmonmac wrote
on Sep 4, 2012 5:01 AM

Sometimes it's just worth it to put a project down for a day or longer and go back to it with a fresh eye. I agree with Lenorae on the psso. It's also defined in the Glossary at KH and it's a fairly common abbreviation for a double decrease often used in lace knitting:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-glossary

The first row of the lace chart requires 22sts and ends with 23sts (5 yo and 4 ssk or k2tog). That isn't shown in row 2 but row 3 does account for the extra stitch. One of the grey 'no stitch' squares in now a white box. Row 3 also increases one stitch (5 yo and 2 decreases + the double decrease).  Be sure to use the corrected charts quoted in the post above and good luck with this lovely knit.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS