Sweetheart pullover-neck shaping

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
ChrisB@4 wrote
on Sep 21, 2012 9:43 AM

I'm confused as to which type of decrease to use to shape the neck- SSK? k2tog? What about on the purl side? HELP!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 136
chewchew wrote
on Sep 21, 2012 6:00 PM

What does the pattern say?  SSK is a left slanting decrease and k2tog is right slanting.  

Here is a link to some help on decreases, it gives both knit and purl decreases.  http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/decreases.  You could also just google knit decreases and it should bring up some you tube clips.  

Not Ranked
Posts 3
ChrisB@4 wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 6:24 AM

All the instructions say is dec 1 st at neck edge every row.  I'm trying to get the nice chain at the edge, having a terrible time.  Not sure which combo of stitches will have the right effect- for instance, on the left side (public) k2tog and (back) ssp? or k2tog and p2tog? or k2tog and s1p1psso? or some other combination?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 660
salmonmac wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 5:52 PM

Use k2tog and p2tog on the same edge. Use ssk and ssp on the same side. You can try this out yourself on a swatch or on the actual neckline. If it doesn't look right, take it out and change it!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
ChrisB@4 wrote
on Sep 25, 2012 7:59 AM

Thanks!  I did a swatch & I think I get it now!  You saved my sweater Yes

Not Ranked
Posts 1
kcornellca wrote
on Jul 30, 2013 8:38 AM

Hi Chris, I too am struggling with the neckline, trying to get that Chain effect. Did you work one stitch at the beginning of the row before you did the appropriate type of decrease stitch ? Or did you work the neck decrease stitches over the first 3 sttitches in the row?

I was wondering about how I will pick up the stitches later if I decrease using the neck-edge stitch

Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Aug 1, 2013 11:14 AM

Hi,  There is a really neat way of binding-off to give a "sloped" look.

1. Work to last stitch of row previous to bind-off row. Do NOT work this stitch. Turn the work.

2. Slip the first stitch from the left-hand needle to the right-hand needle, and pass the slipped stitch of the previous row over this stitch, The first stitch is bound off.

3. Work the next stitch on the left-hand needle and continue to bind of as you normally would.

This method can be used for necks, armholes, shoulders.... or at each end of every other row.  

ENJOY!  

Sue

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS