sweater

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
janisv4 wrote
on Sep 28, 2012 1:22 PM

I am knitting a shrug that starts knitting straight, then picks up stitches and starts knitting in the round.  I'm totally confused w/this pattern, as it says " after knitting 17",  fold back in half.  with wroking yarn, pick up and k85 st along cast on edge (170 sts. place marker and join to work in the round.   Question how do I pick up these stitches along the cast on edge, and once I join and work in the round, will this connect the sweater together, making it a pullover.  this is supposedly an easy pattern, and I'm really hoping to finish it  www.redheart.com  Endless Circle vest.  Thank in advance for your help.  It'll be greatly appreciated

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 28, 2012 8:07 PM

hi janis, 

Let me first say this is an easy solution which you will be able to accomplish.  I looked at your pattern on the Red Heart site. 

After you have knit on the 75 stitches for 17 inches., you are instructed to fold in half.  Your knitting will look like a tube after folding.  These 2 openings on either end will become your armholes.  Look at the chart on the instruction page.  From the site here is help on picking up stitches  http://www.redheart.com/search/apachesolr_search/pick%20up%20stitches  click here and then follow very easy directions with graphic to show you. 

Your picking up stitches from your CAST ON EDGE.  These 75 sts + the 75 on your needle total 150, place your marker here, join and begin working in round.  Next round you begin knitting in front and back of every stitch (300 stitches on your needle).  Follow directions for k2, p3 repeat as written.    

It's a pretty vest in an attractive variegated yarn color, which I think really makes the vest.  Very nice looking.  I hope you can have fun knitting it. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
janisv4 wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 12:58 AM

Thank you very much for getting back to me.  I didn't have any idea on how to pick up the stitches.  I'll give it a try tomorrow Smile enjoy your weekend, Janis

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 615
salmonmac wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 7:16 AM

This is a very clever circle vest and it looks like lots of fun to make. Picking up sts always works out better than you think when you start out. In addition to the nice tutorial ZassZ recommended, here's a video for picking up sts. Good luck and enjoy knitting it!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/pick-up-and-knit-stitches

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 3:36 PM

Hi Janis, 

Thank you for your note back to me.  How is it going with the picking up stitches?  Isn't it a constant learning process with knitting?  Eventually you have something new learned & once you have done - can add it to your repertoire.  Have used the Knitting Help site that salmonmac referred & it is nice too. 

Have a nice weekend too!

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 8:53 PM

I have to agree.  Even after nearly 40 years of knitting, I'm still learning new techniques, stitches and ways of doing things.  That is what makes knitting such a wonderful creative pastime.  It's like life, a constant learning experience.  I figure the day I quit learning something new is the day I quit this planet.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
janisv4 wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 9:24 AM

Well said, Mary, I agree.  I always keep trying new projects, not just w/knitting, but w/other hobbies as well.  But after all you ladies giving me such encouraging words, I think I'll keep working on this sweater. Wink  i'm still on getting to the 300 stiches (almost there), and hoping the next step works out.  I'm still have a problem w/how it's going to look once it's done. Smile 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 4:49 PM

Sounds like you have it in hand now.  You'll get it figured out.  Can't wait to see the finished project.  If you are able to, post a picture for all of us to see.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS