THE OFFICIAL CARET + CHEVRON SOCKS KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 202 Replies | 41 Followers rated by 7 users
Not Ranked
Posts 6
mewilson68 wrote
on Oct 16, 2012 11:30 AM

Here is what I have so far.  Just a couple more inches before the heel.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Oct 16, 2012 10:27 PM

First sock done...

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Nia wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 8:06 AM

Gosh! It looks lovely, I am not there yet...Shame, the photo does not show the beads I am using. I will try to make it better next time. Nia

Not Ranked
Posts 4
renejrdn wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 9:47 AM

Hi, my name is Rene'.  I've not ever done a KAL before but this caught my eye.  I've made 14 pairs of socks and always love a new pattern.  I just didn't like any of my solid color sock yarn at the moment and made myself not buy anymore new yarn as I have several varigated yarns to use first.  Started on Sunday and love how easy the pattern is to remember and follow.  I will admit that I'm using the short-row method by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts for the heel and toe as I love it and have never done the wrap & turn style of short rows.  I'm using Ty-Dy Socks yarn from Knit One Crochet Too.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
sarawutzke wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 11:38 AM

I'd to start over because my newborn mama brain started reading the wrong chart and I had no patience to tink back. At the same time, Igot the 8" needles in the mail. The're great, but also will take some getting used to. Have to find a way to hold them that won't eventually cause carpal tunnel!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Oct 17, 2012 5:32 PM

I will knit the second sock top down for fun since I think the pattern is a little lost in this yarn and probably no one will notice.  Though I expected a different look from this yarn, I still love knitting with it and am enjoying the pattern.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 9:37 PM

Wow, love the yarn and you did a great job. I am doing mine top down and two at a time so I am just about to the heel turn.  Go Girl!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
sarawutzke wrote
on Oct 18, 2012 1:01 AM

Ajm, 

That is really lovely and the yarn is light enough that the pattern isn't lost at all!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
prizebird wrote
on Oct 18, 2012 12:07 PM

Wow, that Heather yarn is beautiful!!  I've seen it at my LYS but thought it would be stripy, guess I was wrong!

And I am suffering Second Sock Syndrome (SSS) pretty badly right now.  The yarn for my husband's sweater (my first adult sweater!) came in the mail Tuesday and I promised him I'd have it done by xmas, so instead of casting on my second sock, I knit a swatch for his sweater and have been reading and rereading the sweater pattern.  And agonizing...

How do you guys deal with SSS?  (And I've done two-at-a-time but can't deal with the tangle...)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 485
bessT wrote
on Oct 18, 2012 4:03 PM

prizebird:

How do you guys deal with SSS?  (And I've done two-at-a-time but can't deal with the tangle...)

As soon as you finish sock one, cast on for sock two, like it was the next step in the instructions for doing sock one Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Robin@75 wrote
on Oct 21, 2012 9:34 AM

Hi, 

As I mentioned this is my first pair of socks.  I am using dpn and did the top down method.  i finish the leg and did the first half of the heel wraps. Now I am on the second half of the heel and I've done something wrong.  I have large holes on either side of the middle.  Here is a picture:  I will frog out the mistake back to the beginning of the second half of the heel, but I'd like to know what I did wrong so I don't repeat this mistake. Thanks all

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 21, 2012 10:04 AM

Dear Robin,

First, take a deep breath. I was very unsure about doing the heels wraps too. However, slowly read the directions and then follow them. On the second half, you want to pick up but the wrap stitch and the slipped sitich. That should prevent the holes you are talk about. I hope that this is helpful.

Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Nail wrote
on Oct 22, 2012 3:52 PM

Dear Sharon,

Having knit many pairs of sox in the past I thought this pattern would be a piece of cake.  Am seriously stuck...and think your response to Robin might be the most helpful but not all your words came through...I do not see in the pattern where it says to "pick up" stitches but you say something about that although your meaning isn't completely clear.  You say "on the second half you want to pick up..." ??? Where do you pick up the slipped stitches that would attach heel flap to foot/leg???????  

Nail

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Oct 22, 2012 11:29 PM

Nail,

In the instructions for Second Half of Heel, its says to "knit to first wrapped st, knit wrap tog with wrapped st, turn."  The "knit wrap tog with wrapped st" is what Sharon is referring to when she says to pick up (the wrap part) and knit together.  Essentially what they mean is that you knit across the  row until you get to that first wrapped stitch, then you will knit that wrapped stitch WITH the yarn you wrapped around it- that closes the hole.  After knitting that together, you turn and knit back- repeating the same process.  The best way I have found to knit the stitch and the wrap together is to slip the wrapped stitch purlwise onto my right needle, then using my left needle I pull the yarn that is wrapped around the stitch up on the right needle next to the slipped stitch so you have 2 stitches, then knit them together as if they were a SSK (that you have already slipped).  Hope that helps!

Dana

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 23, 2012 4:43 AM

Dana,

I do thank you for clarifying my words to Nail.  There are times, when writing directions is a lot harder than telling or showing a person.

Thanks, Dana.

Sharon

Page 11 of 14 (203 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next >  ... Last » | RSS