THE OFFICIAL CARET + CHEVRON SOCKS KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 202 Replies | 41 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
sarawutzke wrote
on Oct 23, 2012 2:07 PM

I was finishing sock one yesterday, and decided to do my normal toe-realized I should have done one more repeat of the chevron and went to rip back. Somehow I was off by a row, one thing led to another and I was ripping back the whole foot. I was about to frog the whole sock when I realized I could salvage the leg and have the 'opportunity' to do the short row heel one more time and make it look better. Here's to second chances :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 23, 2012 2:19 PM

sarawutzke,

Good luck. I ripped out my entire first sock. Reason? I did not like the look, I also realized that the sock was too loose. I restarted on Sunday, I went down one needle size from #3 to #2. I am now to the heel, I used stitch markers to help me separate the wrapped stitches and to pickup the wrapped stitches with the stitche and now I am at the short row at the toe. Does the sock look better? You bet!

So, Sarawutzke good luck.

Sharon

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
sarawutzke wrote
on Oct 23, 2012 3:47 PM

Good idea with the stitch markers. Part of my issue with the first heel is that I'm pretty sure I accidentally 'unwrapped' a few stitches that weren't actually part of the wrap and turn-which actually created holes :)

Not Ranked
Posts 4
sherinik wrote
on Oct 23, 2012 5:27 PM

I finished the first sock yesterday and tried it on immediately of course :-) a bit loose but then I have very small feet and I knew it would be. The merino/alpaca/possum mix is amazingly warm. Heel and toe are a bit 'pointly' but that will sort itself out first time in the wash. I did a standard decrease toe - I'm not that in love with the heel turn that I wanted to do it again, and I really like the kitchener stitch invisible toe finish. Cast on again for the next one and did about 4 rounds of rib, just enough to get it stable so I could put it away for the night. Here we go again...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 24, 2012 5:47 AM

Dear Sherinik,

I too finished the first sock after ripping out the first one entirely and while this sock is not for me. I also tried it on. I was pleased with the fit and while I have a short foot, it was a near prefect fit. Maybe, a little more room might be needed in the toe area. But, my friend has a small foot, so the socks will probably fit her. I also liked the kitchener stitch finish. I did not think that I would. I decided not to start the second one just yet. But, will proably do so over the weekend, when I have the time to devote to it. Overall, I am pleased with the design, the shape and the fit. I'm still not sure, if I will make another pair using this pattern in a different color and using different yarn for myself. That decision may happen after I finish the second sock. To fellow KAL, keep knitting, for me while there were portions of the pattern that did not make sense at first, just keep knitting and it will turn out. I will take a photo later for posting.

Knitting on,

Sharon

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
sarawutzke wrote
on Oct 24, 2012 9:24 AM

I am much happier with the heel the second time around-I love that this pattern looks intricate but it's intuitive so you don't need to have it with you-great pattern for on the go knitting (especially with the 8" needles! Once you get a little fabric on the needle they don't cramp your hands and they're easier to hold.)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 24, 2012 2:55 PM

So glad that your heel turned out so well this time. You are right this is an easy pattern, but it does require your attention.

Sharon

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 72
gumbiecat wrote
on Oct 26, 2012 11:49 AM

I finished my pair of socks yesterday, and they are a great fit!   A new technique for me was grafting the toe closure.  Altho I've used Kitchener Stitch many times, I've never used it when knitting socks. Knitting the socks top-down is a also a "first time" for me.  Another pair of socks was started this morning...from  the book "Sock Knitting Master Class" by Ann Budd.  They are knit toe-up.  I love knitting socks!!!  Thanks for having the Knit-Along, Kathleen!

Judy in SE Wisconsin

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
sarawutzke wrote
on Oct 26, 2012 12:51 PM

That color is beautiful! Great job! I'm finally on the foot of my sock (after three times being ripped back...I guess newborns and knitting aren't the best combination :)) Here's what I have so far. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 26, 2012 4:25 PM

Dear Judy,

Great looking color, your socks look great. I am currently on the second sock and almost to the heel area. Just another set of 8 rows. I am hoping to have the second sock done this weekend. Then, I will post the finished socks and mail off to Michigan.

Sharon

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 26, 2012 4:26 PM

Your sock looks great. I really like the color, great job.

Sharon

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 72
gumbiecat wrote
on Oct 26, 2012 8:03 PM

Thank you Sara and Sharon!!  Actually, my sock color is darker than it shows in the photo.  I should have angled my camera.  Sara, I can understand why you don't have much time to knit, as you have a much bigger "project" to tend to!  Congratulations!  Your sock color is so very pretty!  It'll get finished in due time.  Looking forward to seeing your finished socks, Sharon.  Did you make them for a gift?  I'll be watching for your post of the finished socks!  Judy in SE WI

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Oct 27, 2012 12:00 AM

Gumbiecat-   Your socks turned out great.  I really like that color

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Oct 27, 2012 12:01 AM

Finished the 2nd sock....

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 72
gumbiecat wrote
on Oct 27, 2012 8:26 AM

Thank you, fort0093!  You did a lovely job on your socks!  The sock pattern is very attractive as it shows up against you legs.. Judy is SE WI (gumbiecat).

Page 12 of 14 (203 items) « First ...  < Previous  10 11 12 13 14  Next > | RSS