THE OFFICIAL CARET + CHEVRON SOCKS KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 202 Replies | 41 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 8:26 AM

Good morning all,

To our knitters on the east coast, I hope that you survived the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. On sunday, I elected to complete my sock, this kept me calm and I am very pleased with the results. I loved the challenge of this sock pattern. True, like many have said, the pattern was not difficult, but to me it did require my full attention. The short-row wrapped stitches were difficult, but by using stitch markers, I was able to see the wrapped stitches clearly. I liked the kitchener toe closure. I have called these "fancy" socks and since they are a gift to my friend Carol, I have a feeling that she will enjoy them. Here are my finished socks.

Sincerely,

Sharon

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
sarawutzke wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 9:10 AM

Those turned ouT so beautifully! And your heel looks fantastic! Agreed that the heel takes full attention! I unwrapped stitches that weren't wrapped my first time.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
gumbiecat wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 4:34 PM

Very pretty color, and they look so soft.    The recipient is certainly a lucky person!  Judy in SE WI

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 5:33 PM

I do thank you Judy. Carol is looking forward to receiving them. She promise to take a picture of them when she wears tthem. Yes, they are soft. If it was not for thecolor or my promise, I might be tempted to keep them.

Thanks,

Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 3
fluffy10 wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 1:31 PM

I've had a blast with this pattern, I haven't had the best time with the yarn I'm using.  I've had to tie several lengths of it together!  It's like they sliced thru it with a box cutter.  I've checked other Kroy yarn I have, and 9 out of 10 skeins are the same waySad 

I'm going to frog what I've done, and dig out my Reggia sock thread!!!  What's the next pattern to do?  this was fun!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
vickdamom wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 11:06 PM

If not mistaken Clover also makes a eight inch circular...in bambo

Not Ranked
Posts 9
prizebird wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 11:54 PM

Phew, finally finished with sock #2!  I've really enjoyed this KAL and have learned a few things: sock yarn with silk content might feel nice but it just doesn't have the bounce of all/mostly wool yarn; also, short row toes just aren't for me, and heels are iffy...since I knit continental, it's a struggle for me to purl at the same tightness as my knits, and when I go from all knitting in the round to suddenly back and forth with purls, it can get wonky and stresses me out!  Anyway, here are the socks, seeing everyone else's has been fun and I hope to see more finished pairs!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
gumbiecat wrote
on Nov 3, 2012 9:13 AM

Beautiful socks...I love green!  You certainly did a lovely job, and your stitches show up so nicely with the yarn you used.  Judy is SE WI

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Nov 4, 2012 5:58 AM

Your socks look beautiful, the designs really shows through. I love the color, nice soft green. It seems we all have something to say about the short rowing of the heel and toes. I do agree with you, I'm not crazy about the short rowing, but before I make a final decision about using this pattern, I will make another pair with different yarn and see how it goes.

It was great meeting everyone during this KAL and hope to knit along with you again. Until then, I am looking forward to seeing more finished pairs.

Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Nov 4, 2012 12:42 PM

Hi all,

Guess I found this a little late. I have the pattern and my yarn (Anzula Cloud in the Madam color way--a rosy cranberry shade). Really sorry I've missed the fun, but hope I can read through the posts for a little guidance. I've been knitting socks for several years, but have gotten in a rut, knitting mostly straight K2,P2 ribs or simple variations so that I didn't need to use a pattern. Unfortunately, I've recently had to have my cocker spaniel-lhasa apso mix put to sleep and I'm looking for something to keep my mind occupied. This should help. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Nov 4, 2012 1:56 PM

Dear Paperchaser 29,

I am really sorry to hear about your dog. I cannot promise that knitting this socks will ease your grief, but I can promise that it will occupied your mind, from the repeat pattern design to the short rowing of the heels and toes. If you have experience in wrapping stitches, then you will not have any problems. However, if wrapping stitches does not come easy for you. I would suggest that you consider using stitch markers to help you identify the wrapped stitches from the unwrapped stitches. According to the deadline, you have time to complete at least one sock, depending on the your knitting speed. Plus, I know that there are several in this KAL, who will help you.

So, welcome to the KAL, I think you will like this pattern and the design. Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 4
renejrdn wrote
on Nov 4, 2012 5:42 PM

Dear paperchaser29,

So sorry to hear about your pet.  I have not ever done wrap and turns but have done short rows without them.  I was first introduced to them thru an article by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts.  Google "priscilla's dream socks." I loved it - much easier than the gusset heal!  This is my first KAL and so I don't know if I'm breaking the rules by suggesting a different option than following the directions completely.  I like this type of short row so much, that I must admit I was not crazy about making a pair of socks that I might not enjoy.  Her instructions can be used for any pattern.  Hope this helps.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
sarawutzke wrote
on Nov 4, 2012 6:53 PM

So sorry about your pup, I just had to put my 10 year old lab down unexpectedly, and it's so sad. They definitely have a place in your home!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
renejrdn wrote
on Nov 5, 2012 9:06 AM

I finished my socks!  One sock was actually make in WA, OR and CA--was knitting on the airplane between WA and San Diego and back.  I know that the varigated yarn doesn't show the pattern as well as the solid colors, but they are still quite cozy.  I love them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Nov 5, 2012 9:26 AM

Wow, they look great. I would call them the "traveling socks" because of all the flying you have done. Even using varigated yarn, I can see the pattern design. Yeah, another pair of great looking socks.

Page 13 of 14 (203 items) « First ...  < Previous  10 11 12 13 14  Next > | RSS