THE OFFICIAL CARET + CHEVRON SOCKS KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 202 Replies | 41 Followers rated by 7 users
Not Ranked
Posts 11
bgroulx wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 11:54 AM

Hi Doreen, Your yarn choice is beautiful.  Please tell us where you found 8" Addi circs?  I'm pretty sure I saw 8" circs for sale on Halcyon online - I'm going to check there as well.  I can work with dpn's but I'd like to try 8" circs.     Warm regards from Denver!   Brigette

Not Ranked
Posts 11
bgroulx wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 12:03 PM

Halcyon online has 9" circulars!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
bgroulx wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 12:04 PM

Halcyon online has 9" circulars.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
pathildeb wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 12:45 PM

I found some premier serenity sock weight yarn in my stash - color lavender topaz. I'm in but not sure if my time frame will match that of this KAL. I want to use magic loop and knit two at a time, toes up. Unfortunately I don't have the correct size needle in anything but double points and it will be at least tomorrow before I can start looking for one. Add that I will be out of the country at the end and have many things to do before I leave and who knows what my time will look like.

This weekend in addition to swatching I was knitting the pattern to try to determine the direction that I preferred the chevron to point. I discovered that just turning the chart over gives a different pattern than turning the sample over - the problem being the diagonal line of knit stitches. I could get that by interchanging yarn overs and k2tog or ssk but that produces a different pattern. As a result I decided that I'll just keep it simple and stick with the pattern as charted. I still think it should be doable to find a way to do it but I have spent enough time for now - maybe later and another pair of socks.

I do like the way the toe is done although that part is going to have to be one sock at a time as is the heel. Still better than suffering second sock syndrome!

-Pat

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 283
sjc wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 12:51 PM

Hi, this is Sherry, MTknitting on Ravalry.  I'm in NW Montana where we've already had snow in the mountains and I've already worn wool socks to work!  I've done several KAL's but never socks.  I'm using Mountain Colors Bearfoot for yarn from my stash.  It's my favorite sock yarn. The color is Harmony Rose.  I like Addi's but I don't have the right size so  I'm using a 40" circular #2 rosewood needle from Knit Picks using the magic loop.  I like the sharp points of these needles and my gauge comes out with them.  I've used them for socks before.  The Bearfoot is a little heavier than most sock yarns. I love knitting toe up so I hope the confusion in the directions gets cleared up.  I'm going to skip the toe start directions and use Judy's Magic cast on, I don't think it will make any difference once we get into the pattern.  I haven't decided if I want my chevrons pointing up or down, guess I'll wait until I get there.  I hope everyone has fun with this KAL, looks like a lot of people are knitting it.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
deneshel wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 2:06 PM

Downloaded the pattern, have needles, undecided on yarn. Love to knit socks. This is a different pattern for me so am excited to start.  I may just try toe up to challenge myself. 

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Oct 8, 2012 2:35 PM

Greetings All,

This is my first KAL and my first official pair of socks.  I love working in the round but will give double pointed needles a try as I don't have any circular needles this small.  I am thinking that perhaps I should put a set of interchangeable needles on my Christmas list.  I will be rummaging through my stash for some yarn later today.

Cheers!   Sandy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
DoreenG@2 wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 3:43 PM

Hi bgroulx,

I got my Addis at my LYS here in new jersey , but they do have them at Webs ( yarn.com)  I like the 8 inch ones they have long needles than the 9 inches ones from Clover bamboo . I am using 2 circulars for the heel  then back to 8 inch addi's  I hope this helps  I am almost done with the heel looking forward to finish i like this design and was easy to follow this is my first pair of socks enjoying the challenge of small needles

happy knitting

doreen

Not Ranked
Posts 7
deneshel wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 4:56 PM

Hi again. I am deneshel here and on Ravelry. Live in IL. Finally decided on yarn from stash. Using Madelinetosh, Tosh Sock in Amber Trinket. Did a swatch, ok most of a swatch, using bamboo dpn's size 1. A bit over measurement but I think I'll go ahead with smaller size. Now I have 3 projects going with others hiding in my stash. Road trip coming up, socks will be great take with project!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Bdsimpson wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 6:32 PM

Hi, This is my second KAL. I did the previous one, Pan Am Jacket and loved it.  I've knitted socks before and prefer cuff down. I'm using the magic loop because I already had a 40" 1.5 needle. The first couple rows were pretty tedious but it's going much faster now. I had the yarn in my stash.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
sherinik wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 7:34 PM

Oops! Just saw the official KAL notification. Pattern downloaded, raced out to buy yarn - a gorgeous merino/possum blend by Waikiwi. If I'm going to knit fingering weight socks, they are going to be for me and I want luxury! Top down for me, DPNs.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
JuliaD@14 wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 8:27 PM

sherinik:

Oops! Just saw the official KAL notification. Pattern downloaded, raced out to buy yarn - a gorgeous merino/possum blend by Waikiwi. If I'm going to knit fingering weight socks, they are going to be for me and I want luxury! Top down for me, DPNs.

Where did you get the merino/possum yarn? Do you live in NZ or the US?

Julia from Oregon

Not Ranked
Posts 4
sherinik wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 8:40 PM

I'm in Oz Smile I got it from Knit and Purl in Dandenong, my LYS - check Ravelry. I've been buying yarn from her since I was a teenager - far too long to mention!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Sylvrbdrfly wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 11:31 PM

Hello, my name is Alicia (sylvrbdrfly on Ravelry) and I'm from Kentwood, MI. This is my first KAL and I am really excited. I just now ordered the yarn I'll be using (Malabrigo Sock in 858 Arbol), so I will be a little behind.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
mewilson68 wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 11:38 PM

I went through my stash and decided to try the On Your Toes yarn--superwash wool and nylon with aloe.  The picture came out a bit fuzzy, but you can see the colors OK.  I think it has long enough color runs to work with the pattern.

Page 4 of 14 (203 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS