THE OFFICIAL CARET + CHEVRON SOCKS KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 202 Replies | 41 Followers rated by 7 users
Not Ranked
Posts 9
tuckerkm wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 12:21 PM

Thanks for the help!  You're socks look great!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
siamese4me wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 2:19 PM

I'm Missy from NJ (siamese4me on Ravelry). I have started socks before, love to buy sock yarn & this will be the first pair I complete. I was going to buy a solid or tonal yarn but I decided to use some from my stash- Knitpicks Imagination Sock Yarn in color Unicorn. Hope the detail does not get lost with the color changes! Getting the pattern now & off I go :) Happy Knitting to All!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 2:22 PM

Dear Prizebird,

I have always shy away from short rowing the heel. However, I must admit that enjoyed the sittich and it did turn well. This is my first time short rowing the heel. Just knit along. Sharon

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 3:37 PM

Purchased new yarn for sock.  Cascade heritage-LOVE this yarn. It knits up very nicely. Starting swatch (again) today.  

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 3:40 PM

Sharon- you're socks look great!  Love the color too.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
tuckerkm wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 3:52 PM

How is everyone's knitting coming along??

I've just finished my first pattern repeat, and it's been a little challenging for me!  My biggest struggle is on the 1st row of the pattern when you need to purl, yo, then ssk. Since my yarn is already in front from the purl stitch, I've then done a yo, before the ssk.  When I knit on the following row, my yo looks like a double yo???  the result is a larger hole.  any suggestions??

Thanks, Karen

Not Ranked
Posts 4
sherinik wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 4:47 PM

Nearly up to heel division, pretty happy with it so far and the yarn is fabulous to work with, nice tight twist. Colour photo doesn't do it justice - it's a mid denim colour, not quite as dark as it looks.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
sarawutzke wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 6:09 PM

Hi Karen!

I'm not sure how you're doing you're yo, but if you do a full purl yo, then move to a knit stitch it will be a double yo. To yo between purl and knit stitches, you simply move the yarn from front to back like you normally would when switching between those stitches, except you put it over the right needle instead of between them. This should make it a normal sized hole: hope this helps (and wasn't just telling you something you already knew:))

Sara

Not Ranked
Posts 9
tuckerkm wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 6:35 PM

makes total sense!!  thank you for the help :-)

Not Ranked
Posts 3
siamese4me wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 6:55 PM

I'm just getting ready to cast on. Am I the only one this far behind Time ? I am not a fast knitter to begin and inexperienced with socks but I am determined to get at least one done before the end of the KAL

Missy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
sjc wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 8:05 PM

Hi Missy, don't worry, I'm on the toes (doing toe up) so I'm barely ahead of you and others are right there with us.  Some people are faster, some slower, it all comes out in the end.  Just keep knitting.

Sherry

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
sjc wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 8:07 PM

Your Waikiwi yarn looks great!  The stitch definition is great.  I've never heard the name before but I like it.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
dubblugee wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 8:25 PM

Hi!  I'm Wendy from Pierre, South Dakota.   I posted earlier that this is my first pair of socks.  I'm using Lorna's Laces in Blackwatch.   I'm going to do the top down version and I'm using the magic loop method with size 1.5 circular, 40" cable.  My gauge is accurate at 16 stitches, but I only got 22 rows instead of 24.  Do you think this will be a problem?   I have finished four rows of the cuff and it appears that my sock is inside out.  I have knitted in the round before and on bigger items I seem to do ok, but I have had this problem before on another small project.   Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?  I did sign up for the Craftsy sock workshop but haven't had a chance to check for an answer there yet.   I am really enjoying everyone's pictures of their socks!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 9:38 PM

Regarding your gauge not matching for rows- I wouldn't worry about it.  Most sock patterns will have you knit for so many inches vs a certain number of rows so you can knit to your own row gauge.  I haven't read this one through yet, but if it does say to knit to a certain number of rows, just keep checking to make sure its not too long.  

I knit using magic loop- but always do the magic cast on and start toe up, so I'm not sure about starting with the cuff first.  However, when doing regular DPN in the round, sometimes your knitting can appear inside out if you twisted your needles the wrong way when joining and then you end up knitting the wrong way.  For example, imagine you are holding a piece of paper that is red on one side and green on the other.  If you were to make a tube out of that paper and wanted Red on the outside, you would have to roll the paper a certain direction or the red will end up on the inside.  Make sense?   I'm not sure if that helps explain it or not.  Good luck!

Dana

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
sarawutzke wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 11:37 PM

Hi wendy,

I'm cuff down magic loop as well-not sure how it looks inside out, as p1k1 rib looks the same from both sides. However-once you get to the pattern part, is your sock coming out of the top or bottom of your needles? If it's coming out of the top, you're looking at the inside of your sock-that's the only thing I can think of, so of that's the issue, just push it down inside itself. The cuff should actually be at the bottom so your sock will look upside down as you're working on it. Hope this helps!

Sara

Page 7 of 14 (203 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next >  ... Last » | RSS