THE OFFICIAL CARET + CHEVRON SOCKS KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 202 Replies | 41 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 9:05 AM

Your sock looks great! I have never attempted a toe-up, but want to learn. Love the definition.

Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 9
bonitamahan wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 12:40 PM

Dana,

Thank you so much for the help. You confirmed that I was trying the right thing….I have trouble completing the stitch by bringing the yarn back through all of that….maybe I have it too tight…but I end up losing it and splitting the yarn up into a mess and it falls off the needles. I probably just need practice.  I'm going to start over 1 more time.

Thank You

Bonita

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 1:22 PM

Bonita,

There is a great You Tube video (How to knit the yarn over) that might help.

Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Robin@75 wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 1:26 PM

I have never knit socks before .  Using red heart aloe space dyed yarn skeins from my stash.  I already learned two things 1) how the do the double yarn cast on, and how to manage one sock on two needles.  It helps that they are different colors.  I've abandoned the pattern already, just want to live through making my first pair of socks with a little online support.  I am knitting them leg to toe in the big size because I don't like tight socks.  Wish me luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
bonitamahan wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 1:38 PM

Sharon,

I've been watching them but is there one that shows someone using 1.5 knitting needles?  I'm shredding the yarn and really struggling on these small needles. 

Thanks for your help.

Bonita

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 2:17 PM

Bonita-

What type of yarn are you using?  I'm wondering if that is part of the problem.

Dana

Not Ranked
Posts 9
bonitamahan wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 2:40 PM

Dana,

I'm using Lion Brand Sock Ease.

Bonita

Not Ranked
Posts 9
bonitamahan wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 2:40 PM

Dana,

I'm using Lion Brand Sock Ease.

Bonita

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 2:45 PM

Robin,

Wishing luck, I have feeling that you will make a great pair of socks.

Sincerely,

Sharon

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 2:54 PM

Bonita,

I am not sure, however, before you become too disillusion with your project. May I suggest you look again at your yarn stash, maybe, select another yarn that would use slightly larger needles? Especially if this is your first attempt at knitting socks. Just getting the hang of using double-pointed needles can be difficult. My first pair of socks were made using size 4 circular needles, then switch over to double-pointed size 4 needles. Please, remember this is just a thought. You KAL can be challenging, but you should have FUN too!

Sharon

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 2:56 PM

Bonita,

I have just read your response to Dana. For sock-ease, consider going up a needle size, US 2 instead of 1.5 for that yarn.

Sharon

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 3:05 PM

Bonita-

I agree with Sharon.  I would use a sz 2 as well.  Otherwise, that yarn should be ok (I was wondering if you were using a heavier wool yarn for thicker socks- but not the case).  Something else you can try for now so you don't get frustrated and give up (guilty- I've done it- but we don't want you to!)  When you are at the point of trying to bring the needle over for the SSK- instead of using your left needle- I will sometimes have a a 3rd smaller needle (sz 0 or 1) nearby and use THAT to slip those stitches over the needle.  Sometimes you just a need that little extra room to avoid snagging your yarn.

I admire your tenancity in sticking with this- you'll get it!  Keep posting- we're all here to help!

Dana

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 4:06 PM

Bonita,

You have us in your corner, we are rooting for you. I like Dana's tip for ssk. Please, don't give up, we are here for you.

Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Borbie wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 6:42 PM

Re the W&T for the toe, have you gotten there yet?   I'm trying to do the toe as instructed, but I'm stumped.   I'm 2-1/2" short of desired length.  Then I find the instructions aren't very clear.  I don't know how to proceed.  You're referred to do  the same as the heel.  Well I found a great "You Tube" video to walk me through the W&T method for the heel and after numerous attempts, I succeeded and am pleased with the results.

However, under "Toe" /Note: -   Are these instructions, or do I proceed directly to the "Next rnd" instructions and begin there?

When you do the heel, you're instructed to work 'til there are 13 (my size) unwrapped center sts.   How far do you go for the toe?  Instructions say "... to the tips of the toes,"  then the "second half short-rows are worked along the top of the foot from 'toe-tip to the base of the toes'"

I'm totally confused.  Appreciate any help possible.  I searched for a web site and didn't find any help other than short rows for toe-up, but I'm coming from the cuff down.

Thank you.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 7:20 PM

Borbie-

I was also confused, however trust in the pattern and it will work out.  Start knitting short rows like the heel on one needle- with the W&T stitches.  Each row will be one less stitch that you knit until you reach your wraps.  When you get down to only 13 stitches before reaching the wrap, then you will start knitting the wraps and increasing the number of stitches you work.  Once you continue to work the wraps, you will notice the toe taking shaping like a protruding bubble.  It looked weird to me at first too, but it worked.  Once you complete that part, you will graft the remaining stitches together. 

NOTE- I am making the small size and my toe worked out to roughly 1 3/4".

good luck- Dana

Page 9 of 14 (203 items) « First ...  < Previous  7 8 9 10 11  Next >  ... Last » | RSS