Leaf Lace Cowl

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 4
banksiapat wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 4:20 AM

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a pattern for a leaf lace cowl and decided to start it today.  However, when I actually read it it stated that the cowl is knit from cast off end to bind off end.  I thought cast off and bind off were the same - I'm not a very experienced knitter.  I went ahead and cast on the 21 stitches as directed but the first row of knitting needs 22 stitches.  Is this a specific type of knitting and I'm missing something obvious.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 693
salmonmac wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 5:08 PM

Possibly this is the pattern? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leaf-lace-cowl/people

Can you quote the cast on line and the first few rows of the pattern? Does it have a chart or is the lace pattern given in words?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
banksiapat wrote
on Oct 19, 2012 7:39 PM

Leaf Lace Cowl

Cast on – 21 stitches on size 10 (6.00mm) straight needles

Pattern Notes: The Cowl is knit from the cast off end to the bound off end allowing the wearer to wrap the scarf around their neck

and fasten with a button or pin. The pattern may also be worked as a scarf in which you would knit two sides exactly the same and

sew together. A provisional cast on may be used to avoid the seam if desired. The scarf would require 2 balls of yarn.

Pattern Stitch

R1 (RS): p1, k2tog, ssk, p1, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, p1, k2tog, ssk, p1, k1, p1, k2tog, ssk, p1

R2 (WS): k1, p1, yo 2 times, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, yo 2 times, p1, k1, p5, k1, p1, yo 2 times, p1, k1

R3: p1, k2tog, ssk, p1, k2, yo, k1, yo, k2, p1, k2tog, ssk, p1, k1, p1, k2tog, ssk, p1

R4: k1, p1, yo 2 times, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, yo 2 times, p1, k1, p7, k1, p1, yo 2 times, p1, k1

Thank you

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 693
salmonmac wrote
on Oct 20, 2012 3:45 PM

Thanks for quoting the lines. I've tried this every which way and I can't seem to make it work. Row one certainly requires 22sts and not 21 as you mentioned. The other rows decrease and increase sts but by row 4 you're left with 26sts and not back to 22sts. I don't see how you can repeat the 4 rows unless there's more to the pattern st. If there is, just check the final row and see if you wind up with 22sts on the final row. If so you can repeat the rows again starting with row 1. If there aren't any more rows, I'd recommend writing to the designer and explaining the problem. You can probably reach her through the Ravelry page.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
banksiapat wrote
on Oct 20, 2012 7:13 PM

Thank you very much, salmonmac, for all the trouble you have gone to.  I'll try to contact the designer and ask for her clarification of the pattern.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
banksiapat wrote
on Oct 20, 2012 7:15 PM

Thank you for all the trouble you have gone to, salmonmac.  I'll try and contact the designer and ask her to clarify the pattern for me.  Will let you know the result.  Have a great week-end.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 693
salmonmac wrote
on Oct 21, 2012 4:44 AM

No trouble. It's a pretty pattern. I'll be interested to see what the designer has to say!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS