Icelandic Shawl abbreviation question p1, k2, ppso

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
GinaS@9 Crying [:'(] wrote
on Oct 27, 2012 8:15 AM

The way this is written, it sounds like you are to Purl 1, Knit 2 separately, and then pass the purled stitch over the two knit stitches. Is this correct? It seems like Purl 1, Knit 2 together, Pass purled stitch over would make more sense. This is on Row 6. Thanks for any help!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 647
salmonmac wrote
on Oct 28, 2012 4:32 AM

I agree with the p1, k2, pass purl st over the 2 knits. (You can check on the stitch number if you want. This way would dec 1 st and using the k2tog ppso would dec 2sts. See how many sts are called for in the next row.)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 2:42 PM

Salmonmac,

I don't know if this will help, but check the stitch glossary in the pattern or magazine that the pattern was published in.  This sounds like a specialty stitch and there may be a specific way to do it.  I always make a point of reading through a pattern completely before starting so there are no surprises, especially with lace patterns.  I also highlight any unusual or special stitch diagram in the chart or in the directions.  Makes for less frustration later on.

Mary

Ravenwood Designs.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 135
chewchew wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 5:41 PM

PPSO means Pass purled stitch over.  So you are correct you purl 1, knit 2 then pass the purled stitch over the 2 knit stitches.  

The row reads:  k3, *p1, k2, PPSO, YO; rep from * until 3 stitches remain, k3.  So you're decreasing 1 stitch with the PPSO and increasing 1 stitch with the YO.  

Hope this helps and makes sense.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 8:24 PM

Hi Mary,

Yes, a very good habit to get into.  This helps me out alot because if I don't understand the instruction, chances are I am going to mess up.  I want to be sure before I begin the project that I am doing the stitches correctly, because then I have the confidence I need to complete the project.  But it is always nice to be able to ask someone, and get feedback from knitters that do know or from the lys if I have my pattern when I purchase the yarn from them.  I try to get it all clarified while I am there and if necessary have the stitch demonstrated by someone.  It's always fun for others knitters in the store to learn from the demo.  And that was an excellent suggestion from chewchew to count how many stitches the next row needs to be.  Andof course, Salmonmac is always right on point too! 

Hope you all have a nice evening. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS