Help?

This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
kaline wrote
on Dec 6, 2012 7:30 PM

Hi all,

I'm not a knitter, but my wife is an aspiring knitter to-be. So, I'd like to get her something for Christmas to keep her going with her new hobby, but I have absolutely zero idea what that might be. So, if anyone has a suggestion for what a newbie might want/need, I'd appreciate it! She has whatever needles she has, and a friend taught her the basics, so I'd like to help her take the next step, or at least get her a few things that will help.

Thanks!

-Jay

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 6, 2012 9:21 PM

Hi Jay

If i could be the recipient of something "anytime" that would last me all year and that I could enjoy every day of the year, I would have a gift subscription to the Vogue International Knitting Magazine.  http://www.vogueknitting.com/subscribe.aspx  Check it out!  Their website has a way of inspiring.  There is an item under the "Magazine" bar tab, called VK360 which lets you view the patterns in the magazine issues on live models, with 360 degree view of garments.  Super!   

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
kaline wrote
on Dec 6, 2012 10:10 PM

Thanks! Do you think that would help a new knitter learn? Or provide inspiration? Or both?

-J

Not Ranked
Posts 5
dawgfan wrote
on Dec 7, 2012 1:37 PM

If you have a local yarn store they normally have knitting classes.  I would buy her a month or 2 of those classes.  I know they were very helpful to me when I first began knitting.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Dec 7, 2012 3:25 PM

Dear Jay,

One of the best things to do for a knitter, newbie or otherwise, gift certificates to your local yarn shop or craft shop or an online gift certificate to one of the knitting supply websites like Knit Picks, Webs, Yarn Market or any of the number of sites available.  Also, a knitter can never have too many needles.  Knit Picks makes a great starter set to their interchangable needles called  the Try it set.  It comes with tips, cables and stops.  The tips come in their 3 styles of needles, one set each of the Harmony Laminated Birch in US size 6, Nickle Plated is US size 7 and Zephyr Acrylic in US size 8.  These are the most commonly used sizes for everything from scarves to sweaters.  As a new knitter, it gives her a chance to experiment with different materials for her needles and decide on which type she likes. Another useful gift for a knitter is the Knit Kit, also offered by Knit Picks and other sites.  It is a compact kit that contains the basic tools for knitters such as scissors, stitch markers, a measuring tape and other handy tools a knitter needs.

As for knitting mags I wouldn't go with Vogue knitting for a newbie.  While the designs and pieces shown are gorgeous, they require a fairly strong base in knitting as well as reading the patterns.  For a newbie knitter, I would recommend a magazine such as Knit Simple or Creative Knitting.  The patterns in those are very clear, concise and easy to read.  The magazines are geared more toward beginning to intermediate knitters. Knit Simple is a Vogue Knitting Publication and has the same quality of designs and patterns as Vogue Knitting.  Oh, one other thing, have her wander though this site.  There are a lot of free patterns and great ideas available.

I hope this helps.

Mary Woods

Ravenwood Designs.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 650
salmonmac wrote
on Dec 7, 2012 4:45 PM

I like all these ideas for gifts, I guess because I would love receiving any of them myself. I'd also suggest one (or more) of the seasons of the Knitting Daily TV program. There's a wealth of techniques and projects in each of the programs and you can play them over and over to help learn the steps.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 7, 2012 6:59 PM

kaline:
Thanks! Do you think that would help a new knitter learn? Or provide inspiration? Or both?

-J

Hi J,

I had to answer your question:  BOTH ! 

Depending on her personality she may appreciate the inspiration and may be totally capable of accomplishing her goals. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
kaline wrote
on Dec 8, 2012 7:39 PM

Wow. Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm looking for classes in the area, and I got her a subscription to Knit Simple. I had a recommendation today to get her a set of universal needles? Interchangeable needles? Is that the right term? They were $85, so I don't know if we're at that point yet, but I think I understood the reasoning. 

I've learned quite a bit the past couple of days. Thanks to all here for your help.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS