RS vs WS

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
BevKnitCroc wrote
on Dec 9, 2012 6:29 PM

I'm doing some swatches for a class and after using the long-tail cast on, the directions tell me to knit the RS's & purl the WS's and to end on a WS. Does my cast on determine the WS/RS or the first row and if it's the first row, how will I know if that is the RS or the WS? Am I making sense? My head is spinning - this shouldn't be so difficult!! Tongue Tied

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 660
salmonmac wrote
on Dec 10, 2012 5:57 AM

You sometimes see the longtail cast on considered as a cast on and the first row of knitting but not usually. Most knitters consider it a cast on only. Then you can call the next row either the RS or the WS as you wish. If you call it a RS row, then knit it (and put a marker of some sort, a safety pin or loop of wool into the RS to mark it).

Not Ranked
Posts 3
BevKnitCroc wrote
on Dec 12, 2012 9:33 PM

Okay, thank you!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
BevKnitCroc wrote
on Dec 12, 2012 9:33 PM

Okay, thank you!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 13, 2012 5:01 PM

Bev,

Here is a link to additional info re right v. wrong side of your knitting.  A few additional tips that prove helpful.  http://knitting.about.com/b/2012/01/22/the-right-and-wrong-of-your-knitting.htm 

Hope you are enjoying learning your knitting! Smile

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS