mistake rib on round needle

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Leslie h.H wrote
on Jan 15, 2009 11:09 AM

Hello all - I'm knitting a top-down sweater in the round, and want to use an interesting rib stitch part way down on the body and the sleeves. I've used the mistake rib stitch in a scarf and I love the look of it. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to translate it to round needles. Any thoughts? or sources?

Many thanks - Leslie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 17, 2009 12:49 AM

Hi Leslie...

While I've never done "mistake rib"...I have an old pattern for a cowl hood here that is done flat + seamed up. From the description it is just a K2P2 rib done w/ 1 extra st...right?   So you need multiple of 4 sts + 1 to make it work.

ie: 201 sts = (4 x 50) + 1

Every time you come to the end of round marker...if you "jog over" 1 st it should work out.

ie:  your rnd will end: ....K2P2 K2P2  K1...slip M... So if you start the next rnd K1P2K2 P2....ending w/ ....K2P2 K2P2 I think.  Every rnd should move over 1 st more.

Hopefully my calculations are right. It's 4:45 AM here + I need to go to bed!!!   If I'm wrong feel free to throw the rnd M @ me to get my attention+ I'll figure it out when I wake up!!!  If it were my sweater...I would make sure that the beg/ end of rnd was @ the underarm in case it distorts the st patt. Though it sounds as though this st patt may hide that.

Good "nite"...Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 17, 2009 9:37 PM

Hi Leslie...

I'm back + I was WRONG....sorry !!!

Kept thinking about it all day...something kept nagging @ me...so I sat down tonite + cast on for a dishcloth to try out the st. For me "visual" is better. Have a few inches done so I could graph out what the right side "looks like"  for knit-in-the-rnd. 

Pattern is done over an EVEN # of sts when worked in the rnd...though still must be a multiple of 4 sts.

rnd #1:  * K2 P2....rep fr * to end.

rnd #2:  P1, * K2 P2...rep fr * to last 3 sts, K2 P1.

Rep these 2 rnds for desired length.

You are still jogging over 1 st...but going back + forth each rnd instead of continuing in the same direction each time.

I'm going to have a new dishcloth + knowledge of a new st...thanks to you!!!  It really does make a nice plush/ thermal-like st. Would be a nice baby blanket or scarf.

Truly sorry...hope this didn't mess you up too much!!!

Take Care,    Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Leslie h.H wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 3:55 PM

Hi Andrea - that makes more sense. I tried it the other way and didn't like how it was working - and it's hard to tell if you're doing it right for several inches - but after 6 rows I'm frogging and will try again. I made my daughter a similar sweater with another rib, and didn't want to repeat the exact same thing for mine - so I'll keep playing with it and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for keeping at it - I appreciate your help.

Blessings -

Leslie

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS