Knitted Gift Ettiquette

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 74
on Dec 14, 2012 10:09 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about making a wine bottle gift bag for a friend, but I'm a little hesitant because of possible ettiquette violations.

The idea is that the bag is his, and should simply be used to transport wine to a party and possibly to look good while the wine is being presented, but not necessarily be left at the host's house. Is that utterly rude, to bring a bottle of wine in a gift bag and then take the bag home with you again?

To be honest, I've already formed an opinion while typing this - that it should not be considered rude at all, because a knitted bag is a "permanent possession" , sort of like those fabric shopping bags that you buy at various supermarkets.

However, I'd still to get an opinion from you guys, just to see what the general practise is.

Thanks!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Dec 14, 2012 2:47 PM

To askhouse01,

In answer to your question, no.  I have done that myself with other knitted carriers and baskets during the holidays.  When people ask about them, I tell them I made it and if they are interested in them, I would be glad to make one for them or if they are fellow knitters, let them know where I got the pattern and share the pattern with them. 

As for your friend, it is up to him to explain to family and friends that it was a gift he received and if they are interested in the bag, put them in touch with you.  I would take a moment and find a way to personalize the bag such as knitting in his initials or making a custom knitted tag so that people know that it was made especially for him.

Mary

Ravenwood Designs

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 74
on Feb 13, 2013 5:31 PM

Hi Mary,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Your advice about adding initials or a tag is great! I shall take note of these ideas for any future projects that sit on the border of "etiquette" (which I've just realised I spelled wrong in my post title - grrr).

Happy knitting

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS