New spinner

This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bobie wrote
on Jan 18, 2009 1:05 AM

I love to knit, crochet and do many other forms of fiber arts.  I've been interested in spinning for a while now and my husband bought me my first spinning wheel for the holidays.  It's a Baynes, made by the Bebbington family.  Has anyone ever heard of it? Pros / Cons?  It is the castle style which is perfect for me as our living room is not large so it fits in nicely; it's light-weight to carry to knitting groups and guild meetings (even though it doesn't fold or fit inside a case) and it's pretty.  Now I'm struggling to get started with it as I'm teaching myself. It's a single treadle, not a problem. I'm a klutz so I'm having a bit of a problem learning to feed the yarn, twist it, and keep the wheel going all at the same time. Any hints?

Bobie

Not Ranked
Posts 5
PattiO@2 wrote
on Jan 18, 2009 5:46 AM

Bobie,

I got my wheel off eBay, and there are no instruction books that come with them!!   Learn pre-drafting, that's essential.  Also the first thing I read was to treadle the wheel. Then treadle while doing other things, reading, talking.  If you can get your foot to turn the wheel mindlessly, that frees up the brain to work on the pinch-pull-twist-feed part of spinning.  Also look for books at the Library.  I had gotten a couple really good "visual" books there that were a great help when I started spinning!!

Good Luck!! And have fun!!!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
DebbieR wrote
on Jan 21, 2009 5:51 AM

Hi Bobie,

I'm wondering if you know about a "leader"...tie a 18" or 20" piece of mill-spun yarn onto your bobbin and over the hooks on the flyer then out thru the orifice. Make a loop on the end closest to you.  Now you can 'pre-draft' a wee bit of yarn, slip it into the loop and start your wheel.  The twist will travel up the leader and begin twisting your fiber into yarn.  I'm unfamiliar with a castle wheel and can offer you no advice on adjusting your tension---the yarn should wind onto the bobbin when you allow it to slide in thru the orifice.

and do practice treadling at different speeds without fiber...that'll help you 'get a feel' for your wheel.

You can always check u-tube...there are several spinning demos on there to help you get started.

But most of all....have FUN!  It's supposed to be relaxing.  I personally love the look of imperfect yarn (i used mill-spun for 35 years and the 40th skein always looked exactly like the 1st skein...BORING!) so i try for thick and thin; lumpy and bumpy--as long as it holds together it is successful yarn!

debbie

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS