new Knitscene for 2009?

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
MichelleD wrote
on Jan 18, 2009 6:47 AM

Has there been another issue? Does anyone know when it is coming out?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
MaggieP wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 9:55 PM

Today's Knitting Daily (1/26/09) contained links to go look at photos of the patterns that are being featured in the next issue of Knitscene (coming SOON to a newstand near YOU!).  So like a good do-be I went and looked at the pictures .. and read the accompanying text. 

On the whole, this magazine doesn't seem to be for me.  I'm not quite sure what their target demographic is, but I'm not it.  I'm a 60 year old widow who knits, and who measures 52 around the bust.   There was not a single one of those patterns that was written in a size large enough for me to make it and have the finished garment be anything other than spray-painted on.  (NOT an attractive look for a Senior.)   Even the pictures showed garments made with 4 - 6 - 9 inches of ease .. but weren't written for that. 

Perhaps this is meant for a young junior market.  Several of the garments seemed unfinished to me, like they were missing something to complete the item.  There were about 3 or 4 that I liked well enough to think about rewriting the pattern for my size.  And I'm not that big.  60% of the women in the US wear a size 16 OR LARGER, according to Women's Wear Daily back in the 80's. 

My question now becomes .. When is someone going to come out with a well-done fashion knits for us larger ladies?  When we buy yarn for a garment, we buy a LOT of yarn .. it would seem that somebody would make that intuitively logical connection and produce a magazine that features patterns and designs that would be both fashion forward and geared to the specialized interests of larger ladies. 

Make THAT one .. and I'll be one of the first to subscribe.

Maggie Pringlemeir

DrMaggie@aol.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 31, 2009 1:12 AM

Hi Maggie...

Not sure if this is of any interest to you...but there are a couple books @ this link that you might want to check out ?  If you scroll down you'll see the 2nd one as well as a "deal" on the pr.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Girl-Knits-Projects-Shaped/dp/0307336603

This 2nd link is for the same book...price not nearly as good...but their description is better.

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl/9780307336606.html

They aren't magazines...but thought I'd pass them along.

The szs in the magazines aren't a problem for me luckily...but I frequently have to tweak shape. At 51 I also agree that not all the "in" styles are "me"!!!  I'm very glad I'm able to design my own.

Take Care,   Andrea

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Lee wrote
on Feb 20, 2009 7:35 AM

I picked up the spring Knitscene a couple of weeks ago.  I like the patterns very much and I would love to knit the tee on the cover and pair it with a long-sleeved tee.

"Fame is a very good thing to have in the house but cash is more convenient." Louisa May Alcott, Little Women

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on May 12, 2009 9:32 PM

LOVE your quotation!Wink

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS