Changing yarns

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
alldaybeader wrote
on Dec 20, 2012 1:59 AM

Hi anyone who can help!

I want to knit the 'Jeanne Cable Yoke Pullover' in the Interweave shop. It is done in 2 strands of lace weight mohair/silk yarn but the tension/gauge is the same as Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (90m in 50g skein). I think that regardless of strands used if the gauge matches I'll still need the same meterage/yardage as the original, using a single strand.. Can anyone confirm this for me - it works out to be 19 skeins! I knitted the Lapis Yoke pullover which needed 12-13 skeins, and the Caterpillar-stitch pullover which also needed 12-13.    Many thanks, Liz

Not Ranked
Posts 4
nursebtanner wrote
on Jan 15, 2013 5:40 PM

Hi I believe that you are right with the gauge, as long as your gauge swatch is the same as the gauge for the original then you should need the same yardage.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 15, 2013 8:41 PM

Alldaybeader,

if you are referring to the tension/gauge info on the yarn label you may be off on your calculation.  You must knit a swatch to actually get your gauge using the substituted yarn.  You can go up or down needle sizes til you get the correct gauge according to your pattern on your swatch. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS