First attempt at designing lace curtains....need guidance

This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
JanetEllen wrote
on May 24, 2013 3:20 PM

Hi,

I like your idea of knitting curtins, I have thought of it also, but never did.

Are you using worsted yarn? My thoughts were to use Paton's Grace. It is a Cotton yarn that gives great stitch defination.

Probably a size 4-6 needle though. Would that work for you?

Janet

ptruncali2@hvc.rr.com

Not Ranked
Posts 13
knitapeace wrote
on May 24, 2013 3:33 PM

Hi Janet - the yarn I used for this swatch was Luster Sheen, a Coats and Clarks acrylic, so its both washable and dryable, has a great drape and sheen - perfect for curtains. since we live in a parsonage and will at some point be moving on, I didn't want to spend a fortune or use something that needed a lot of special care. I found a skein or two of it in Michael's or A.C. Moore's...or it might have been JoAnn Fabrics on sale for a really great discounted price. When I finally realized that it was the perfect color, I ran back the store to find some more - unfortunately, the reason it was so steeply discounted was because it was discontinued in that colorway. In fact, I can no longer find luster sheen in any of the stores, only on the web. It has a slightly different name now and different colorways - no more 'Pure Aqua'. Boo! 

I have looked at Patton's 'Grace' line, but it is cotton, which means figuring in some shrinkage and it just doesn't drape like the Luster Sheen acrylic. I do appreciate the suggestion though. 

Happy Knitting, Debbie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on May 25, 2013 2:14 AM

Hi knitapeace, 

How are you?  So nice to hear from you again.  Just such a coincidence I was lookin for a stitch pattern which I tried out.  I was looking for something to use as a border for a project.  When I did a test knit swatch I thought it would make a perfect top edge for a curtain because when turned upside down the edge becomes a small header and the lace holes in the pattern form a natural spacing that is perfect for putting thru a rod.  Just thought I'd share with you if you want to look.    Imagine this upside down and the rod going thru about 1/3 of the way.  Well it could be for another project & it looked interesting to me.  It was easy to follow the pattern.  I just used some cotton for the test swatch.   I hope you find your yarn soon. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 13
knitapeace wrote
on May 25, 2013 6:11 PM

Hi Zassz,

I'm fine, thanks for asking. Smile 

I'm realizing it's more about the journey than the destination. 

Nice swatch and interesting border. Think you are right - this would make a lovely header on a curtain if it were turned upside down.

I know I was thinking about using the afghan feather pattern, but now I've found something similar - cabled feather pattern - which works well rightside up or upside down. It makes a wavy bottom, that when blocked, comes to points. So you could turn it upside down with cafe clasps and make it a scalloped header. I'll work up a swatch with what's left of the luster sheen and post a picture. Just wish I could find a similar weight acrylic. I've even considered dying it as I mentioned. Well, hopefully I'll find something I can use. Huh?

Debbie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on May 26, 2013 8:29 PM

Hi Debbie, 

Well that is a nice pattern. 

I did a skirt awhile back using the similar but without the cable. I really like them both.  Glad you are enjoying the journey, ha ha.  It can be a long one at times, ha ha.  I'll keep a look out for that yarn in case I come across it I will post where I've seen it here for you. 

You say your considering giving it a dye job.  Have you dyed before?   One more thought on that.  Try contacting the manufacturer of the yarn you want and see if they can direct you to an outlet for their discontinued yarns.  I know it's frustrating to keep searching, but hopefully some will turn up.  I really hope so. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 13
knitapeace wrote
on May 26, 2013 9:17 PM

Nice swatch Zassz! As you can see from the pic you posted the points could make a nice header as well as a hem treatment. I've tried this with a US sz 8 using fingering weight and it makes for a very nice open lace look.

As to dying - no, I haven't done it before...that's why its an avenue of last resort LOL! I really would rather not have to if at all possible - but I am tossing around all the options. : )

I hadn't thought about contacting the manufacturer. Great idea! Thanks.

Another possibility is to make the lace curtains in white or off white and purchase a topper in the color I had originally wanted. OH the possibilities! ; )

Debbie

Not Ranked
Posts 13
knitapeace wrote
on Nov 14, 2013 6:43 PM

Janet, looks like you wrote back in May --sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. Grace would probably be the closest to the yarn that I was considering, but they don't have the color that I was looking for..Hope you have success with your project. Blessings, knitapeace

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS