Hole Repair

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
nanoo2 wrote
on Dec 24, 2012 7:43 PM

How do I repair a large hole in a sweater? It's a square hole.When I try to sew it together the sides of the square become unraveled. The top and bottom are ok. If someone can help, Iwould greatly appreciate it. Tanks so much. Nanoo25

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 25, 2012 6:42 PM

hi nan,

where is the hole located?  Is it in an obvious noticeable place on the sweater?  You could use some water solulable facing until you finish stitching and then when you dip it into water the facing will dissolve and your repaired stitching will remain.  This may help you to hold the edges in place while repairing with stitching. 

If the hole is in a less noticeable place, you could use permanents facing and if you have some of the same yarn from the sweater, use it to weave over the facing.  Hope something works for you. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
nanoo2 wrote
on Dec 26, 2012 1:13 AM

Hi ZassZ,

Thank you for the information. Here are a couple of pictures so you can see what a mess it is. Thanks again. Nancy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 26, 2012 12:53 PM

Hi Nancy,

It seems to be a little larger than I imagined, but now that I see it, I am wondering if it woudn't be better to just pick up those stitches on the botton and see how far up you can knit them back and upward into the sides as you go up.  Or you could could get some fabric with a design of similar color or a large print and just sew it on.  At least the hole will be covered up and keep from unraveling any further.  I guess it depends on what type or wear you be wearing this sweater.  If it's to work or out as a nice outfit, you may not want to do that.  But if you just wear around home or errands, it may not matter that much.  So I am curious to hear what you will try and how it works out for you?  Is this one front side of the sweater, under the sleeve?  I can't tell too well. 

It is a pretty color and nice looking yarn. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
nanoo2 wrote
on Dec 26, 2012 3:05 PM

Hi ZassZ,

It's closer to the sleeve on the frontside. I will try to stablize and try to pick up the stitches on the side. The sweater was for my mother and it was my very first try at a sweater.I love the color too and it is Red Heart Super Saver. N

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS