Knitting my first afghan/throw, need some help!

This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
xquigs wrote
on Dec 27, 2012 9:46 PM

I am relatively new to knitting, I recently taught myself via youtube videos, books, and a lot more patience than I usually possess. I have knitted a few plain scarves as well as a few infinity scarves! (I'm ridiculously proud of myself since I generally lack the creativity gene).

ANYWAY,

I am looking to start my first "big" project, I would like to knit an afghan...nothing special, just plain old knit stitch with tassels. My boyfriend just got me Caron Simply Soft in Ocean (so beautiful), and I would really like to use this as my main/starting color (I think I may eventually add in some more colors as I get going). 

My question is, what do you guys think my needle size should be? The above mentioned yarn is size 4. I was starting to knit a scarf with this yarn on size 8 needles, it was a pretty tight stitch, should I go up to size 10 needles? (I currently do not have size 10 to test this out). Again, the afghan will be NOTHING fancy, just used as a throw or to cover up my feet...

Also, I do have a set of circular needles (size 13, 48 inches long), do you think these may suffice for this project? Or will they leave my stitches too large? And is there anyway to get the nylon(or whatever the material is) to stop curling up so it is a little bit easier, or will the circular needles eventually straighten out from the weight of various projects? I would like to stick with circular-they will help me keep everything together!

Thank you for your patience as well as your help!Big Smile I am really excited to get this project started!
-Melissa 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Kweenie wrote
on Dec 27, 2012 10:16 PM

I am assuming the connecting cable on your circular needle is clear nylon.  If so, one thing that works fro me is to put it in a large bowl, and pour boiling (or barely off the boil) water on it.  Let it sit in the water for a few minutes, nut NOT long enough for the water to drop more than a couple of degrees. I have a lot of circular and jump needles, in all different sizes which I'd be glad to give to you, but you would have to pay the shipping, because I am 100 % disabled and we have 4 adults trying to get by on $1,700.00 a month.  Depending on how dense you want your afghan, you COULD use the size 13 needles, but I wouldn't go any larger than a 10 1/2.  And Be prepared--afghans take a long time.  You should have one or two small projects going for when you go somewhere, or you just don't feel like you want to work on such a large project.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Cherylbarnes wrote
on Dec 27, 2012 10:23 PM

Size 8 needles should be just right for your yarn. Use at last 28 inch circular needles an knit back and forth. This will distribute the weight  

If you want to add a little texture you will be surprised at how easy it is to do a knit purl pattern or cables. Here are some links for resources

http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/caron-simply-soft-solids

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nmcrs-basketweave-baby-blanket-ver-2

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/basketweave-blanket

Not Ranked
Posts 3
xquigs wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 11:17 AM

Kweenie-thank you so much for that tip I will definitely use the hot water trick to straighten those suckers out. Thank you for the offer, but I just purchased size 10 circulars that I am going to use for another project then the afghan.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
xquigs wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 11:19 AM

Cheryl - thanks for those links, I was thinking about throwing in some purling to change it up a bit. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS