!RACER BACK TOP (proposed non-official kal) Lisa Hoffman

This post has 105 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 28, 2013 9:51 PM

From VOGUEknitting INTERNATIONAL Spring/Summer 2012 issue

LISA HOFFMAN’s Racerback Top Pattern No.17 Pattern Yarn: KOIGU MORI (wool/silk)

See A Midsummer KNIT’S DREAM page 66 or on VK360 for front and back view here:

http://www.vogueknitting.com/magazine/vk360/vk360_spring_summer_2012.aspx

Pattern Yarn: KOIGU MORI (wool/silk)

Substitute any yarn you feel is appropriate 

1. Tell us which yarn you're using.

2. Please share your tips, ask questions, or share an interesting story or a joke.

3. Post a pic of your finished project.

4. No race to finish the RacerBack Top. Just enjoy, feel no pressure for a completion date. We’ll all be here

hopefully for a long while.

If anyone cares to read the story of how it began; here it is. If not, just skip to next page.

Well, sometime ago I asked Yogama if she would be interested in doing a kal on the Ruffle and Pleat Skirt Pattern offered here on KD by interweave. For various reasons the idea was put on hold. Recently, I saw a pattern Merlich shared with us that she was thinking of doing from an issue of Vogue. While I viewed her possible project on the VK360 I saw this Racerback Top and suggested it to Merlich. She loved it and decided to switch, bought her yarn and started working up her swatch gauges. I say ,she was really on the ball! So when Merlich mentioned the idea of doing a kal on this top, I immediately thought of our (Yogama & myself) past attempts at a skirt kal , put out the invitation again to Yogama, and this time it looked like it will be a “go”. We also invited Mary, Wendy and invited all kd’s knitters who might like to do this top. 

Hopefully more will join.  It's a Racer Back Top but there is no race to finish it!  So no pressure to finish by a certain date.  I have noticed on some of the kals that a knitter has decided to do the project long after the kal is completed.  So since there not a completion date, anyone can feel free to hop in without pressure to finish "on time".  It's just going to be a fun thing to do.  Hopefully learning from one another will be the thing, and the reward is having a Racer Back Top to wear or give as a gift!  I hope that Lisa Hoffman will be happy that we wanted to knit her beautiful top.  Thank you KD for this site.  Merlich, Yogama & I don't know when we have enjoyed a knitting website more than this one! 

Sincerely, ZassZ. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 28, 2013 10:45 PM

Some posts that led to this kal

Merlich:

Hi ZassZ,

About my blue top tank. It will have to wait a little until I am done with the winter accesories I am already on the go. The weather forecasters are expecting the temperature to drop, so I have to hurry finishing the two pair of topless gloves in black and ivory and a scarf which pairs with the hat with the twined knitting band and the simple tunisian crochet I posted last time (the grey and white one). It would be fantastic if you knitted at the same time one for you too and put up the pics together as if it was a knit-a-long. Hahaha! Big SmileEnjoy your knitting!XOXOXO!!!

ZassZ:

Hi Merlich,

I received the mag issue with blue top pattern. So now since you mention a kal -- I am thinking about planning the yarn for the top to coordinate with the yarn for that skirt I want to do. By then maybe you'll be ready, and we can do a kal. I like your idea. That would be great. I would like to still get the yarn used in the pattern for the skirt. Since I really love that yarn, maybe I might as well get additional amount for the tank top and then be all set to go. It would be nice to do a lesiurely kal with you. Maybe we could persuade Yogama to join us. I had asked her awhile ago and might be she will be done with other projects too and join. Of course, anyone is welcome too. What do you think - give me your thoughts? Take care xoxox

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 28, 2013 10:55 PM

ZassZ:
Hi!I am happy and relieved to report I finally ordered my yarn! Yeah & Yippee all over the place. Smile

Merlich:
Hi ZassZ,Star Yes MusicBig Smile

ZassZ:
Hi All, So it looks like we are making progress in gathering our materials for this kal.

Hi Mary & Wendy,

How are you both doing? Are you possibly able to join in? Hoping you can, please let me know. The picture is in the Spring/Summer 2012 Vogue Knitting on page 66, the pattern is #17 Racer Back Top on page 95 or can be seen on VK 360.

Everyone who would like to join us is WELCOME. Please let us know who you are! Person

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 29, 2013 10:16 PM

yogama:
good morning zass and merlich!

enjoy your day and let me know when we are starting! looking forward to it. but then again i am like a little kid when it comes to new projects. some new yarn, a new pattern and all is good in my world!

xox, sharon

Hi Sharon,

You can both start as soon as you both like, since Merlich has her yarn and you probably will have yours tomorrow.  It's really up to you both.  Whatever you decide is fine.  My yarn should arrive this coming Saturday.  Earlier today my doorbell rang and I got excited, thinking maybe, just maybe it was arriving early.  I was just picturing it in the box being handed to me by the delivery guy, but of course it was just the phone directory being delivered.  Wink  Nite all. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jan 30, 2013 9:14 AM

good morning and oh no! just the phone book? how disappointning! maybe your yarn will come today! fingers crossed.

i have almost made my decision regarding my yarn choice. i'm stopping today at another lys to check their supply of lornas lace, helens lace. its a gorgeous lace weight and comes with something like 1200 yds per skein. usually priced at $57, but i only need one! my problem is i want a solid color, and helens lace comes in subtle color variations, so its hard to tell unless you see it in person. so, wish me luck! if this doesnt work out, i already ordered  a "cone" of wool/tencel in a pretty blue. it should arrive in a couple of days.

thanks again zass for getting this kal posted and ready for all of us to chime in. looking forward to starting and comparing notes. this will be fun!

xox, shar

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Jan 30, 2013 9:27 PM

Hi Everybody,

ZassZ,

Of course we won't start without you. Besides Sharon is already deciding which yarn to buy. I think she doesn't matter either to wait for you. We have no rush, don't you remember? It must had been frustrating about your phone directory instead of your yarn delivery!  Be patient, I wish it arrives before the day they told you!

Sharon,

I hope you've finally bought the yarn you like! That way you'll enjoy the most this kal, we all!!  Smile

My yarn is blue too, ZassZ' is eggplant, beautiful too!

XOXOXO!!!

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 9:03 AM

good morning ladies,

so excited because i finally chose my yarn. check out the link. i picked color 7806 calypso, its a really pretty shade. got my guage on size 3 also, so i am good to go! so we have blue, eggplant and aqua so far. maybe some others will join and choose other colors!

http://www.spudandchloe.com/yarns/fine/

merlich it looks like you have a westie? is that right? boy, girl? name?

i have 2 boston terriers named henry and rita, brother and sister and they are almost 4. hard to believe since i had them as puppies and saw them when they were a week old.  love them to death though. i used to have big golden retreivers but downsized and now cannot imagine having big dogs again!

enjoy your day! xox

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 3:01 PM

Buongiorno !!!

Well happy Smile you got your yarn Sharon.  Love that color.  It reminds me of a beautiful Bermuda beach!

Well hope you are doing well today and I'll update you & Merlich the moment my yarn arrives.  tanti baci (xoxox)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 7:29 PM

Hi Everybody,

Sharon,

I love the colour of the yarn you finally chose. It is like the one of the pattern: pale aqua, but yours looks shiny. Yes

When are you expecting it to arrive? You must be very excited!

Yes, it is a male westie: Snowy. He is the best of the best. Although I used to have a female schnauzer that was unique. We love each other like no other pet will ever love me that way again. She had cancer and we had to put her to sleep when she was 13.5 years old. Crying

ZassZ,

We are almost ready!! Time passes fast, don't desperate.

Don't forget to read the instructions from start to finish, so we can clear out any doubt before we start doing the sketch after we've done the swatches.

Have a nice evening!!

XOXOXO!!!

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Feb 3, 2013 12:50 PM

good morning and its super bowl sunday!

zass, hoping your yarn came?

i was reading over the instructions and have a suggestion, depending on how easily lace knitting is for everyone.

i make an enlarged copy of the insructions so i can mark the chart as i go along. i keep it on a clipboard in my lap, and have a row marker that i move along with each row - for me its a blank piece of paper and a big plastic clip. i know others use rulers. whatever works.

i also place stitch markers along the row to keep my place. for this pattern i plan to place a marker every 2 pattern repeats. that way i dont have too many markers, but if i make a mistake (gasp!) i can easily find it by counting the stitches between the markers. the markers i like are the ones that look like plastic safety pins. they come in teal and orange in a package for about $5. i love them! plus they are cute!

chat soon and ready when you are! xox

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 3, 2013 5:16 PM

Hi Yogama and ZassZ,

Yogama,

I like your suggestion!! StarYes

This is my way to follow charts: I also make an enlarged copy of every chart; besides colouring every single row with a different colour , I use a row counter. That way I know where I am in the chart easily: not getting lost in the stitches of every single row, nor in the row to knit. Also use the same plasic safety pins markers and place them every time the pattern ends to know if I reached the number of repetitions.

About the sketch. I usually rewrite the instructions if I am following a pattern and if my gauge is different from the one they give in the directions. That way, there are no surprises and you make the adjustments before you start. I measure myself and compare the measurements: the ones from the instructions and mine. Then, I decide if the ones from the pattern are good for me or if I have to change them according to my taste. I enlarge or reduce the ease. As soon as I am done with that, I start knitting with confidence, but checking just in case. It is just a suggestion. Everybody has their own way to do things and this kal is about to have fun and enjoy sharing our experiences.

I wish you a Happy Sunday!!  Big Smile

XOXOXO!!!

Merlich

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 4, 2013 7:07 PM

Hi Sharon & Merlich,

It's here!   The pic doesn't do it justice.  It has a nice little bit of sheen to it.  Over the week end used some stash yarn to start working the pattern to get the hang of it.  As you both suggest, I'll also enlarge my charts so they are easier to read.  Also I was thinking of putting into a plastic sleeve.  Maybe find a rubber band not too tight, nor too loose so I can just roll it up the page.  If not, just use a clip.  So now its S&S (swatch and sketch) as Merlich says, ha ha.  Looks like we use the same little stitch markers too.  So now I'll grab my size 3's and start swatching.  I like the colors we all have so far.  I'll leave my laptop on in case you post back.  Sharon did you start your swatches yet?  How is it working out?

So do we start?  Whisper

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 4, 2013 11:52 PM

Hi ZassZ & Yogama,

We are almost ready!!!Star

ZassZ, your yarn is so beautiful. I love the colour!!  Yes

Yogama, are you ready to start? If you are... then we can say the words tomorrow.

Meanwhile, this is the pic of my yarn: Sublime egiptian cotton dk, 50 g./115 yd. (aprox.), shade 324, and the needles I'll use are size 3.

I'll use bamboo circular needles, and the cable cast on method, so there is no variation in the width from the bottom to higher rows. If I remember well, ZassZ wants to knit it in the round and I've decided to do it that way too. To avoid sewing.

Looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow,

XOXOXO!!!

Merlich.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Feb 5, 2013 7:24 AM

good morning zass and merlich - and anyone else out there???

today is the "day"? tues, feb 5 - let's START!

love both your colors, so pretty.

i did do my swatch and realized i had to go down to a 2, which is not unusual for me. i think i knit "normal" tension, but apparently i am a little loose. i always use a sz 0 for my socks.

interesting that you both decided to knit in the round. i also considered that! longer rows, but then you dont have to start over on the front, once you get to the armholes! i decided to knit as the pattern was writted. only because somewhere i heard sometimes you need the side seams to weight the garment down. we'll have to compare notes and see how this works!

happy knitting!

sharon

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 5, 2013 7:24 PM

Hi ladies,

Now, that we've officially started YesMusicBig Smile, I want to say that Sharon, you are right. If we knit in the round, the bottom will roll over as it doesn't have any ribb stitch which supports the weight down.

Well, ZassZ. You were worried about the WR rows in the round. You only need to knit that rows, except for CHART 1 where you have to knit the opposite: if it indicates knit, you purl, and vice versa. But, I have to accept Sharon is perfectly right: the side seams will help the garment to weight down.

Thank you Sharon for your remark!!!

Enjoy your knitting!!

Merlich

Page 1 of 8 (106 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS