Y A R N B O M B I N G IS HERE!

This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 11:13 PM

www.telegraph.com.uk read and put a smile Smile on your face.  This phenomenon, which the article relates was thought to have originated in the U.S. but has now moved to the British streets.  Knitters use balls of wool to knit "cosies" for various fixed objects around town.  It seems that a shop owner, Magda Sayeg from Texas covered an entire bus with knitting.  According to the article, she has a website, Knitta Please, which she started for frustated knitters who didn't know what to do with their unfinished projects. 

I can't help myself, I am LOL over this.  Never underestimate a knitter Wink !

Now that gives me an idea about Sandi's 5 too big sweaters and what she might do with them!  Now that would be Cool

Has anyone seen this done yet?

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 29, 2009 9:19 PM

Hi ZassZ.....

Unfortunately your link won't work for me...but you still put a smile on my face. Having just read several rather negative posts...it was very nice to land here!!!

The only "site" I can remember seeing online was that gas station in Syracuse, NY that they covered w/ knitting. I'de have loved to see it in person. Might have felt bad for some of the yarns out in the weather though!!!   Oh, actually I think I saw a VW bug somewhere on the net once that had been "cosied".

I will check this out further when I have more time.

Thanks for sharing + for the smile....Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 30, 2009 3:28 PM

Hi AndreaW

So glad to you wrote!  What a coincidence.  I actually was thinking the same thought about the yarns out in the cold and rainy weather.  To think, I could have "cosied" my VW, when I still had her.  My '72' was yellow & would have looked so cute all cosied up, I think.  I would have loved to have seen the one you came across on the net. 

I will give you a more acurate link & maybe this one will work for you.  www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4305406/knitters-turn-to-grafitti-artists-with-yarnbombing.html

Your welcome & glad you liked.  I wish more people would check this out.  Definitely guaranteed to put a smile on your faces!  Smile

They say a smile is very therapeutic.   

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Zaneta wrote
on Jan 30, 2009 10:21 PM

hahaha!!! oh wow! who would've thought of doing something like this?!  Its amazing and certainly brought a smile to my face! :D  Thank you so much for sharing ZassZ!! :D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 30, 2009 11:51 PM

Hi again ZassZ...

Thanks for sending the 2nd link...it worked...will show it to my husband as well since he appreciates color + textiles.

I tried google to see if I could find the VW I'de seen. No luck so far on that one...but did find these:

http://www.craftycrafty.tv/2007/05/knitted_vw_will_drive_you_back.html

http://www.lionbrand.com/Newsletters/2005MayIssue2.html

The 1st one is really pretty...the 2nd plain but liked the stats about yarn "mileage".

I'll be thinking about where I saw the other one ....

I also saw a set of pics awhile back that were all knitted "sea creatures" like coral/ sea urchins/ etc. They were really beautiful. If I run into them again I'll post the link here.

Our old car that I remember w/ the most fondness would probably be a 1968 Chev Impala convertible...red w/ white ragtop. We had that when we got married in 1976. It's long since gone to wherever good old cars go....along w/ many good memories!!!

Take Care.....Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 4, 2009 9:46 PM

I know!  It's so crazy.  Your welcome & glad you enjoyed.   Thank you for sharing your thoughts.   

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 4, 2009 9:55 PM

and again to you, Andrea

That cosy really FITS!  Thank you I really liked both of these sites.  Am going to do a little more exploring on each one.  Glad you shared - very inspiring.  Let us know if you are able to find the other one. 

This is really so much fun!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
LorraineL wrote
on Feb 5, 2009 11:42 AM

This is the second year for tree cozies in downtown Columbus, IN. The Columbus Area Arts Council hosts the contest and people can go to artsincolumbus.org to view and vote for their favorite. The winner has a donation made in their name to their favorite charity. The cozies hold up fairly well in the weather.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
EmmaS wrote
on Feb 18, 2009 7:56 AM

Haha sounds like that woman who knit a house cozy :P Although now that I think about it I did see a car cozy pattern somewhere....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Feb 22, 2009 12:08 AM

Hi...

These aren't a car cozy...but did think of this when I ran across them tonite. I followed links till I found an online magazine (?) called "Twist Collective" that I hadn't seen before. The premier issue has an article with a giant knitted flower shown. If you click on "read more" you will get the rest of the article as well as 2 more flowers:

http://twistcollective.com/2008/autumn/magazinepage_014.php

Take Care....Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 1
chubbiecanuk wrote
on Mar 3, 2009 4:43 PM

there is an article in the Vancouver Sun, one of the local dailies, about Yarn Bombers in Vancouver, with some photos..  they are doing smaller projects than some of the ones described below but its still fascinating..

http://www.vancouversun.com/Life/Yarn+bombers+take+Vancouver+streets/

1342756/story.html

(this link was too long to fit in this window so I had to break it onto two lines.. )

here is the link to one of the articles.. on the same page there is a link to a 2nd article and a small gallery of photos..

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 28, 2009 10:36 PM

Hi Andrea, I just had the time to look at Twist Collective site on the giant yarn flowers.  Tatyana really did a fabulous job knitting these.  I loved the photos and thanks for sharing.  Just amazing? 

Did you see the articles that chubbiecanuk posted here from the Vancouver Sun?  I enjoyed reading those articles also especially the pic of the garden of flowers they planted outside a store and the next day it snowed on them just enought to let them peak thru as if just starting to blossom.  Really cute! 

THANK you both for sharing all. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 31, 2009 7:20 PM

Hi...

I did just check out the story that chubbiecanuck posted. Cool idea...dress things up w/o doing any damage...love it!!!  Somehow I missed the flowers in the snow pic though???

I followed some links fr that story + found this pic on Flickr of a small sz yarn bombing that kids would just love:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pomomama/3360312913/

Also found some pics/ story w/ knitted coral although not the orig site I'm still looking for:

http://www.theiff.org/reef/index.html   it's amazing !!!

This was the site where I found the link for the coral reef...she also tried some:

http://felting.craftgossip.com/2008/08/01/knitted-felted-coral-reef/

There is also a page there w/ a link to a LionBrand free patt if anyone wants to try some themselves:

http://felting.craftgossip.com/2008/08/08/lion-brand-hyperbolic-crochet-motifs-free-pattern/

Take Care ..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 1, 2009 7:03 PM

Hi Andrea, The link just shows the flowers in a wooden boxlike garden but upon reading the article (if I remember this correctly) it says that it snowed later and the next day I think, there they were poking their heads us through the snow looking like they were just starting to bloom. 

I'll check out your links now that you just posted.  Thanks for taking the time!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 16, 2010 9:28 PM

Hi again, Andrea, 

It has been a while since we looked at these.  Earlier this evening I came across this cute one so am linking it for anyone who enjoys this little pole decoration. 

http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/knit-tagging

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS