selling a blanket

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Stephanie226 wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 9:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a question. I have made several baby blankets for friends and family using the same pattern that I found for free on another website. My husband suggested that I start selling these blankets. My question is: can I sell this blanket even though it is a pattern from someone else? Any help you could give me would help immensely.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 7:31 PM

Sephanie,

You can sell blankets as long as you have buyers for them.  You just would not want to sell or publish the pattern.  It has already been published and the original copyright belongs to the person who wrote it and/or the website that publishes it.  In other words, you would not re-distribute the pattern (as your own). 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Stephanie226 wrote
on Feb 25, 2013 6:55 AM

Thanks for the information. I always let everyone know where I got the pattern. I want to give credit where credit is due. I just wasn't sure if I could sell the blankets that I make. I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes. Thank you for clearing that up.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 27, 2013 8:41 PM

Hi Stephanie, 

Your welcome.  Glad that helped.  Just remember that your not selling the "pattern" but just the item you yourself have knitted from the pattern.  In otherwords, it is not so important to publish to your buyers where the pattern is from, or if it was free or not.  Unless, of course your wish to do so.  Yes 

Have you figured out how you will decide how much to charge for the blankets? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Stephanie226 wrote
on Mar 1, 2013 9:23 AM

Not yet. I just basically have a lot of yarn and can knit this blanket in a couple of days. My husband is happy that I have a hobby but he says it can get a little expensive. He just thought that I should start selling some of my creations to at least pay for the yarn. Probably not much. If you have a strategy for how much I should sell it for that would be helpful.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
soha11 wrote
on Sep 21, 2013 1:44 AM

That's a lot of info. Thumbs up to the person who researched this.

Amazing Offer from sydneyleather we are off 50% on all leather jackets.Limited time offer.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Sep 21, 2013 4:04 PM

I have just finished a carseat blanket,sweater(for a newborn) a ski cap with a pom pom for newborn, and booties (for a new born) all from the same yarn..I plan to sell it at a craft show that our retiement facility is having in October...I have shopped around town and  there is nothing like it for sale...so I going to a price of $100.00 on the set...do you think tht sound fair...or maybe not enough?????

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS