The Official Ruched Tee Knit-Along

This post has 362 Replies | 42 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 314
sjc wrote
on Mar 5, 2013 10:43 AM

Sewdove:
Now I hit reply to nanakathy102 to post.  Is there a button to post when you are not really replying to someone else's post?

Hi Sewdove, sorry you had such troubles but you did it correctly.  Just hit reply to any post and that will put you in with a new post.  If you want to reply to a particular post (as I just did to yours), highlight what you are replying to and hit quote and it will show up ahead of what you write.

I hope it was a typo that you are adding 60 stitches in row four instead of 6 stitches!  Reading all the other posts and looking at the pictures is always a great help.  Sounds like your top will be very spring like.  Don't know about you but I have Spring Fever bad this year!  And we didn't even have the bad winter that you had on the east coast.  Happy knitting!

Sherry

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Sewdove wrote
on Mar 5, 2013 2:54 PM

sjc:
I hope it was a typo that you are adding 60 stitches in row four instead of 6 stitches! 

Thanks so much for the help.  No, that wasn't a typo--in row 4 at the bottom of the page you are to increase 54 stitches evenly.  Since I hadn't  increased the six because I didn't make the keyhole, I added those increases onto the 54,making 60.  I probably didn't have to do that because my yoke will be roomy enough.  I put it on a 60" cable and tried it on.   Maybe should have CO more tightly, but I can always single crochet around the neckline if I want to snug it some.  I, too, am ready for Spring, but we are expecting snow tonight and tomorrow!  My color is such a nice Spring color, it does lift my mood!

Peggy D

Not Ranked
Posts 8
KSuper wrote
on Mar 5, 2013 6:07 PM

sjc - Thanks for providing this information on posting since all of my posts are in another area and not here where they should be.  Now I know what to do to post if I need to post!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Mar 5, 2013 9:57 PM

Sherry,

We are actually in Dubuque.  Our favorite thing to do is drive up and down the river road.  We went to Bellevue for their fireworks this past July.  Pretty impressive!

Thank you everyone for  your help!

*Kristi

Not Ranked
Posts 8
jparquer wrote
on Mar 5, 2013 9:57 PM

How did you get the ability to test the size.  I am fairly new to knitting and I do not know how temporarily c(cast off?) the stiches?  Do you just thread a darner needle with a really long length of yarn?

Not Ranked
Posts 8
jparquer wrote
on Mar 5, 2013 9:58 PM

Nice!  Thanks for sharing!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
jparquer wrote
on Mar 5, 2013 10:04 PM

:)  Me too!  Glad I finally found it!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
spixy1019 wrote
on Mar 5, 2013 11:26 PM

jparquer:
How did you get the ability to test the size.  I am fairly new to knitting and I do not know how temporarily c(cast off?) the stiches?  Do you just thread a darner needle with a really long length of yarn?

That's usually what I do. You want to make sure you put it on something long enough (waste yarn or  a really long needle) so that you can do what you need to do to get it over your head without fear of stitches falling off the ends of your needles. If you have a really long needle (like, 60") it's nice b/c you can knit onto and off that needle, but it's not that bad to thread yarn through it, remove the needle, try it on, and then put all the stitches back on the needle. Even if it's a bit of work it's worth it to know sooner than later if the fit is incorrect.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sbuntyn wrote
on Mar 6, 2013 2:09 AM

I'm Sara in Houston, TX.  This is my first KAL and also my first "big" project - I've done a lot of scarves, gloves, socks, and baby blankets, but nothing on this scale.

I'm using KnitPicks CotLin in Lilac.  I moved down to a US5 to get the gauge.  Based on the Ravelry comments about sizing, I'll be knitting the 46.75" instead of the 51.25".  I'll put in the keyhole and maybe make the sleeves a little longer.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
lisaelle wrote
on Mar 6, 2013 11:03 AM

If you are using interchangeable needles, you can also just add a long cable to the one your work is on (using a cable extender). it's one of my favorite things about interchangeable needles. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 50
diamora24 wrote
on Mar 6, 2013 2:04 PM

Hi, 

I was very grateful for the information about the Magic Formula.  This is a good start, but I still can't figure out exactly where to place my increases.  For example, if I have to increase every 4th stitch 14 times and every 9th stitch 36 times, shouldn't I be alternating these increases in some way?  

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 50
diamora24 wrote
on Mar 6, 2013 2:59 PM

I meant every 4th stitch 14 times and every 5th stitch 36 times.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Sewdove wrote
on Mar 6, 2013 3:21 PM

Well, I just used the Peggy Dove "do the best that you can" method.  I divided 14 into 36.  That's 2+.  Keeping careful count of how many increases I made, I increased in the 5th stitch 2 x, and in the 4th stitch 1x.  When I had finished increasing the 14x, I would just increase every 5th stitch the rest of the way.  I hope this makes sense to you.  I had lots of stitch counters going.  If anyone else has a magical way of figuring this out, I would definitely be in line for the instructions!!

Peggy D.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
Sewdove wrote
on Mar 6, 2013 3:24 PM

Also, make sure you do the increases in the 4th stitch or in the 5th stitch.  Don't knit 4 and increase in the next st.

Peggy D.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
CindyBee wrote
on Mar 6, 2013 7:19 PM

diamora24:

Hi, 

I was very grateful for the information about the Magic Formula.  This is a good start, but I still can't figure out exactly where to place my increases.  For example, if I have to increase every 4th stitch 14 times and every 9th stitch 36 times, shouldn't I be alternating these increases in some way?  

Diamora,

Is the Magic Formula the increase calculator that Kathleen posted?  If so, the author uses a bar increase for her increases.  If you use k1f&b, her calculation won't work.  I prefer the k1f&b because the bar increase makes a hole which I don't like.  In order to figure out the increases I divide my total stitches (140)  by 4 and my increases by 4.  13 increases over 35 stitches twice and 14 increases over 35 stitches twice.  Then I make a little stitch chart .  Works out to an increase every 2nd  or 3rd stitch.  Labor intensive, but it works for me and the increases are very even.  Any one else do this?

Cindy

Page 10 of 25 (363 items) « First ...  < Previous  8 9 10 11 12  Next >  ... Last » | RSS