The Official Ruched Tee Knit-Along

This post has 362 Replies | 42 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Amaasing wrote
on Mar 3, 2013 2:56 PM

Hello everyone!

My name is Amy and I'm from the Missouri Ozarks.  This is my first knit-a-long with knitting daily, and I am very excited! I participated in Cookie A.'s Knit.Sock.Love. KAL on Ravelry and just loved it! I know I will have just as much fun making this tee with all of you!

I decided to use some yarn I found in my stash for this project.  It is Rowan Summer Tweed (70% silk, 30% cotton).  I knit my swatch and had to go down a needle size, so I'm working the 38 1/2" bust with US size 5 needles.

Happy knitting to everyone and I can't wait to hear how it's going for you all!

~ Amy M.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Dawmre wrote
on Mar 3, 2013 3:22 PM

Amy, I am also knitting the size 381/2 and had to go down to the size 5 needles---

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
PatJ@7 wrote
on Mar 3, 2013 4:24 PM

Me too!  I am knitting the 38 1/2 size and using a size 5 needle.    

Amy, the color you are using is very pretty.

Pat Johnson

Chesapeake, VA

Not Ranked
Posts 7
nanakathy102 wrote
on Mar 3, 2013 7:02 PM

Kathleen, thanks so much for the calculator info!  I am learning so much from this KAL'S!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
Chris Essler wrote
on Mar 3, 2013 9:00 PM

I always learn so much here!  I am going by the book...doing the keyhole, doing all the f&b's...we shall see.  Rowan Summer Tweed!  Why did I not think of that...I have a bunch.  I am such a yarnee.  Any excuse to buy yarn.  I will have to find receipes to transform yarn into eatables when I retire (IF I retire).

Not Ranked
Posts 4
SwitchItUp wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 10:45 AM

Hi, I'm Jennifer and finally decided on my yarn. Blue Heron rayon metallic, it's navy blue with gold flecks. I know, I know, it's not very springy but it's still snowy in Wisconsin. I do see date night In the future, with this top layered under a leather or denim jacket. 

I plan to follow the directions, with the exception of doing k1f&b on every other stitch rather than every one. This is to save time for me, as I've only been knitting for 9 months and am slow. I do hope to finish within the designated timeframe. Needless to say, this is my first KAL and I've enjoyed reading all the comments. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
Chris Essler wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 10:47 AM

Now I have a question. It would seem very basic.  But I just don't know if I am doing something correctly. I did my 8 knit rows (not in the round as I am doing the keyhole); I did my first ruched row (row 9, which is indicated as the RS row); then the directions for Rows 10 - 16 say stockinette stitch.  I knitted one row, planning to purl the next.  But the effect seems to be on the wrong side.  Because Row 10 is WS, should I have purled that, and then knit Row 11?  If anyone can direct me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Mar 4, 2013 10:59 AM

I have a question.  I am to my first increase row and have used the calculator to find out how often to increase.  What increase method are you going to use?  It doesn't really say and this being my first garment, I don't want to end up with a bunch of holes or make my sweater twist all up.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Amy, we moved from (and grew up in) the Missouri Ozarks.  

Jennifer, we are in Iowa right on the Mississippi and this round of snow has already started.  It should be to you soon if it hasn't started already.  :)  I love your color choice as well.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
StitchTech wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 11:19 AM

Hi Chris,  Yes, Row 10 should be a purl row.  Since 9 and 17 are right side rows, go with knit on odd rows and purl on the even for the St st section knit straight.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MERRITT wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 12:09 PM

Hi mrsmichaelhill,

I knit 1f&b to make my increases. No holes with this method.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
Chris Essler wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 12:41 PM

Thank you Stitch Tech!...I had a sneaky feeling I should have done that...and I pulled a bunch of knitting books off the shelves...couldn't confirm with those; that's why I love these knit alongs...

Mrsmichaelhill - I agree re the increases...I was doing the Pan Am, where the make ones worked out.  But sometimes that technique makes holes. Better to just stick to the F&B increase method.  Plus with the other method it is easy to split the yarn.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 310
sjc wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 2:22 PM

Mrsmichaelhill:
we are in Iowa right on the Mississippi

Hi, where are you in Iowa?  I lived in Clinton and Bellevue Iowa (right on the Mississippi) for 18 years before moving back to Montana where I grew up.  I've driven that river road so many times I think I could still do it even now on auto pilot!  I agree with the other posters, use the knit one in the front stitch and then knit in the back stitch to do the increase.  Easy method and no holes.  I need to post a picture of mine soon, I'm doing the child's size 4 and I'm almost finished.  Amazing how the little ones knit up faster!  Happy knitting!

Sherry

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
PatJ@7 wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 8:41 PM

Jennifer, I love your choice of yarn.  I think it will make a really dressy looking top to wear out on date night!  I can't wait to see the finished product.

Pat Johnson

Chesapeake, VA

Not Ranked
Posts 7
nanakathy102 wrote
on Mar 5, 2013 7:05 AM

Thanks so much for the hint of trying it on at this point.  Mine seemed too large so I am starting over with smaller needles and downsizing to the 34 1/2. Maybe I will be able to wear this project!  Any other NM knitters?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Sewdove wrote
on Mar 5, 2013 8:46 AM

This KAL has been so confusing for me.  I couldn't find the offical place for the postings, so my first two posts are somewhere else--heaven knows where!!  Now I hit reply to nanakathy102 to post.  Is there a button to post when you are not really replying to someone else's post?

Anyhow, I live in Eastern Pennsylvania, am retired, and have time to knit--and that is wonderful!!  This is my first KAL and I am using Berrocco's Weekend DK in a celadon green.  I am knitting without the keyhole and didn't know what to do about the 6 st CO, so am going to increase 60 sts in row 4.  Hope that works.  I don't think I am going to do the waist shaping as I like my tops looser.

Just reading everyone else's postings is a huge help.  Thanks to everyone

Page 9 of 25 (363 items) « First ...  < Previous  7 8 9 10 11  Next >  ... Last » | RSS