Calculating stripes

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Dfoskin wrote
on Mar 13, 2013 9:27 PM

I am going to make the child's vest from Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns.  I want to add stripes. I want it to be two colors of even stripes. How do I calculate how many rows of each color? I would choose one of the colors for the edgings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 726
salmonmac wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 4:37 AM

Hi and welcome!

It depends on how many rows you would like per stripe. Thin stripes of 2 rows per color or deeper stripes of 4 or 6 rows per color. Row gauge will help you convert from inches given for the pattern or schematic to number of rows in the body of the vest.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Dfoskin wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 2:13 PM

I want wide even stripes. I do not want to get to the top of my piece and have a partial row. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 726
salmonmac wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 4:49 AM

When you do your gauge swatch and get the correct stitch gauge for the pattern, measure the number of rows you get over about 4 inches. Divide the number of rows by 4 to figure out the number of rows per inch and multiply by the entire length of the vest given in the pattern or the schematic. Once you know the total number of rows you can figure out how many rows per stripe you'd like and how to fit them into the given length. Remember too that you can finish the front and back with a shorter stripe (i.e. fewer rows) because when joined at the shoulder, the stripe will look wider. Good luck with the vest!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Dfoskin wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 10:53 AM

Thanks!  If I do 6 row stripes I get 14.5 rows. Perfect. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 726
salmonmac wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 3:42 PM

Post a picture of the finished vest if you'd like. We love to see knit projects!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS