She's 62, left handed and wants to learn to knit. Any suggestions?

This post has 31 Replies | 14 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Sylwonone wrote
on Apr 22, 2013 6:36 AM

I have a friend who sews beautifully, has a wonderful eye for color, is 62, left handed and wants to learn to knit.  She said there is a kit from Real Simple.  My only experience with that publication was 3 years ago and my impression was not good.  Any suggestions?

Syl

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Apr 22, 2013 8:38 AM

I too am left handed. I'm also 71 and have beren knitting for decades. I taught myself back when I was a teen since there was no instructions at the time for leftiesl. Your friend can check the internet to see if there are instructions there or refer her to a book that has leftie instructions. One thing to rememeber is that when regular instructions refer to the lef side of a piece (i.e. the left side of a cardigan) she is knitting the right side and vice versa. Or, she can follow right handed knitting but use her left hand. u

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 729
salmonmac wrote
on Apr 24, 2013 5:28 AM

I'm a leftie too but I learned to knit right handed because that was the only way my teacher could knit. Your friend might try learning Continental knitting which uses the left hand to hold the yarn. It may be a more natural way to go even though it's knitting right handed.  Most patterns are written for right handed knitting. Straight kniting isn't difficult nor is shaping, increasing, and decreasing but lace and complicated stitch patterns may be more difficult to translate into true left handed knitting.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Apr 24, 2013 11:34 AM

Another suggestion for your friend, Portuguese knitting, where the yarn is held over the shoulder and worked primarily with the left hand.  There are instructions in the free baby pattern downloads and well as links to videos that show how to do it.  This may be easier for her than the traditional style of knitting that most of us in the US and Europe are used to.

Mary Woods

Ravenwood Designs

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Sweetpt53 wrote
on Apr 24, 2013 2:40 PM

I prefer the Interweave magazines. Knitscene is the simple knit versions of the main publication. I hadn't knit for 50 years and took it up again with an instructor who used "I can't believe I'm Knitting" for our text book. Addressing the left versus right handedness: My Left-handed Mother-in-Law learned to knit holding the yarn in her right (English). She still knit the stitches from the right needle to the left. Have your friend try stitches holding the yarn both ways and let her decide which feels better. Have fun!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Sweetpt53 wrote
on Apr 24, 2013 2:40 PM

I prefer the Interweave magazines. Knitscene is the simple knit versions of the main publication. I hadn't knit for 50 years and took it up again with an instructor who used "I can't believe I'm Knitting" for our text book. Addressing the left versus right handedness: My Left-handed Mother-in-Law learned to knit holding the yarn in her right (English). She still knit the stitches from the right needle to the left. Have your friend try stitches holding the yarn both ways and let her decide which feels better. Have fun!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jul 9, 2013 3:50 PM

I know this is a little late...I have a friend who is left handed & she uses a mirror while she watches instructional videos or I will sit with a small mirror between me & the knitting as she watches on the other side. She's not had many problems learning this way. I'm not sure about reading patterns, we've not gotten there yet :D hope this helps too

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jul 10, 2013 3:48 PM

Go to a good, independent yarn shop.  They can teach you.  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
wrightkc wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 3:50 PM

http://www.theknittingsite.com/knitting-videos-for-left-handed-knitting/ I think this will be helpful.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
knitzyblonde wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 3:58 PM

Here are some links that should help...

http://youtu.be/v00r6CJs48o

http://www.wikihow.com/Knit-Left-Handed

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-knit-lefthanded.html

Hope that helps!

KnitzyBlonde Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jul 10, 2013 4:09 PM

I am left handed as well and I have learned so much from the u-tube videos. They are wonderful!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
M. D.H wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 4:14 PM

I'm not sure that being left-handed really makes all that much of a difference in learning to knit. (I say this as a strongly left-handed person myself.) I'd fixate less on the left-handed part, and focus on the learning to knit. (I know a lot of lefties who seem to get stuck on the left-handed part, and think that because they're left-handed, they won't be able to learn to knit in the "traditional" direction. But I also know enough lefties, me included, who had no trouble learning to knit in the "tradiional" direction from "traditional" instruction methods.) That said, it would definitely help to find a person to learn from, or at least to get started from, and use books and videos to supplement. Bonus points if the teacher is comfortable knitting with the yarn in either hand (both English and Continental styles), so that the learner can see and try both ways and figure out which is more comfortable. I learned to crochet long before I learned to knit, holding a hook in my left hand and the yarn in my right hand. For me, it felt most natural to knit English style, holding the yarn in my right hand, probably because I was already used to holding yarn in my right hand. I learned to knit with yarn in my left hand when I learned how to do stranded colorwork, but when I just have one yarn to manage, it's in my right hand. YMMV.

There is, of course, nothing wrong with left-handed knitting. I do it when I knit back backwards. But it involves a bit more thinking, especially in pattern stitches or garments. About the only other part of knitting I regularly do left-handed is grafting the tip of a sock: I hold the tapestry needle in my left hand and work from left to right.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
njgirl56 wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 4:19 PM

I'm left handed and have been knitting for over 34 yrs.  What city does your friend live in? If she's close to me I'd be willing to meet up with her and teach her-Susan

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
bubbysmom77 wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 4:22 PM

I'm left handed too, I knit using a modified Continental/English method. I hold the thread in my left hand and throw it as you would English style. I recommend KnittingHelp.com videos for continental style knitting. Also try YouTube. Craftsy also has a lot of how-to videos. Good luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Sylwonone wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 4:35 PM

Thank you!  I've forward all emails to my friend and will let her sort out all of the generous responses.

Syl

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS