Help, I have an odd situation that I need help with. Please!

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
pagrandma59 wrote
on Jun 7, 2013 10:21 AM

My mother passed away this past Saturday (June 1, 2013) and while in ICU the nurse brought in an afghan that a volunteer made - evidently when patients are terminal they give the patient (family actually) an afghan and guardian angel pin to comfort them. Since my sister took care of my mother during her illness I left the blanket for her to keep but she decided since my daughter is the only granddaughter that maybe I would like to give it to my daughter's baby girl. Only problem is if I do that then my son will feel hurt because he also has a baby girl. These babies are my mother's only great granddaughter's and it wouldn't be fair to give it to one and not the other.

So my question is - can I cut this afghan in half? It is knit/purl, it looks like probably 20 rows knit/ 20 rows purl, very large needles. I used to knit years ago (now I do more crocheting). I have a sewing machine as well as a surger sewing machine. I don't want to jump right in and cut it in half, I do know I would need to secure the stitches in the center before I cut anything. My thoughts were to do two rows of very large basting stitches down the center of the afghan to secure the threads and then cut between the rows. Of course I would then need to add a border of contrasting color to hide the threads. My only other option would be to find the ending row of the afghan and pull the thread and actually knit another afghan with the thread I'm unraveling and when it is about half way stop and end off the thread. I know this sound like a lot of work but I would rather figure something out so both of my children will get some sort of comfort knowing they have a little something to remember their grandmother by.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MIlyon wrote
on Jun 7, 2013 1:42 PM

I have 2 suggestions

1. take it to a frame shop and have it cut into pieces and framed (you would get more for other family members - including your sister) You could have it framed with a picture of Grandma, too
  2. have it made into throw pillows

When you cut a loose knit, you have to be very careful to sew around each cut side so it won't unravel, but it can be done.  If you go that route, I'd have someone who is very skilled cut it and then knit or crochet a border around it.

Good luck - whatever you do, it's a lovely idea.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 614
salmonmac wrote
on Jun 7, 2013 5:10 PM

Would you consider crocheting another afghan for your son's child? It seems too bad to cut the afghan since it will change the proportions. What you're suggesting is a steek which can be done with closely spaced stitches by hand or machine and that'll work if the afghan was knit in the short direction (fewer  but longer rows).

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/FEATsteeks.html

If it was knit in the long direction (many shorter rows) then you can do length reassignment surgery which is the neatest solution. Basically, you cut a row and pick up the stitches on either side. Then you bind each side off a la:.

http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2008/01/length-reassignment-surgery.html

I

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS