Adjusting pattern for different gauges and sizes

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
circepix wrote
on Jul 20, 2013 5:16 AM

Hey, everyone! I have this problem, that I've had, quite frankly, since i first started to knit, with matching my gauge to a pattern. No matter how hard I try, my gauge is always off by a LOT. And it's not like I can knit any tighter, I've tried, somehow it never changes. So I decided to try a different approach. I figured, since I can't match my gauge, I'll try an match the pattern instructions to it. :D

But here's the problem: I don't know how! Embarrassed

And my second problem: every time I find a pattern, the smallest size is too big for me! I'm very skinny and I'm 72 cm(sorry, I'm European, divide by 2.54 for inches) across the chest, but most of the knitting magazines go from 80 cm and up, and it's really frustrating, because I can never make anything fit me! How do I adjust a knitting pattern to fit a different size than the one given in the instructions? Can you offer me like a link to a tutorial or something?

Ps: I'm an intermediate level knitter so don't hold back! :P

Thank you!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
on Jul 22, 2013 5:15 PM

"And it's not like I can knit any tighter"

This to me implies that your gauge swatches are turning out too big/loose.  i.e. it takes you fewer stitches to get 4"/10cm than the pattern calls for.  In which case, you need to use smaller needles and/or a thinner gauge yarn.

"The smallest size is too big for me"

Don't proclaim this too loudly, others might get jealous/mad. Angry  Again, if you are making the smallest size and things are too big, you need smaller needles.

Without some specific examples (yarn, gauges) I can't say much more.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
circepix wrote
on Jul 23, 2013 7:34 AM

Using smaller needles doesn't help, because I don't have a problem with obtaining the same measurements as give in the pattern. My problem is the default smallest measurements are too big for me!! Everywhere! Every pattern I've read has an S size and i'm an XS because i'm petite.

Which means that I can never work something to fit me even if I follow their exact instructions and obtain the exact measurements in the pattern, because it would still be too big for me. I want to know if there is a way to adjust a pattern to my own personal measurements. I could use smaller size needles and obtain smaller measurements, but how would I be sure the proportions would be the same? Is there a way to calculate and adjust the measurements?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
on Jul 23, 2013 9:51 AM

If you want a smaller garment but want to use the same needles (because your gauge swatch is accurate), then you will need to omit stitches.

For example, a pattern says to CO 100 sts to get a chest circumference of 40inches.  You however, want a chest circumfenerec of 36inches.  The gauge is 2.5 sts per inch (10sts for 4inches).  Therefore CO 90 sts, rather than 100 should get you a circumference of 36".

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS