knitting in the round; stockinette stitch

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
cathycohee wrote
on Jul 28, 2013 8:46 PM

I am knitting in the round and am trying to do stockinette stitch. I understand that in order for it to be stockinette stitch you knit all rounds.

I looked at my project and noticed that half of it was stockinette stitch and the other half is stockinette stitch on the back side or the inside. What did I do wrong? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 657
salmonmac wrote
on Jul 30, 2013 4:04 AM

You may have put the project down and when you picked it up again, reverssed the way you were holding the needles. If you hold the knitting so that the points of the needles are closest to you and the loop of the circs is in your lap, you'll be knitting on the outside of the tube. Don't suddenly start knitting with the points away from you because that'll mean you've switched to knitting on the inside of the tube. Switching like that can change st st into rev st st.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
cathycohee wrote
on Jul 30, 2013 8:06 AM

Thank you so much. That makes sense. I just finished a hat by knitting in the round and didn't have any problems. This project I've ripped out 14 times and didn't want to start over again until I knew what I did wrong.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Aug 1, 2013 4:50 AM

Cathy, I turn my projects around to have a look at it and to see what it will look like when finished. Then I turn it back when I go to knit.

Doesn't hurt the project, just keep the bumps on the outside while working and all will be well.

I like to see what the V side looks like once in awhile. :-)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS