William Street Socks!

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
cswineh wrote
on Feb 12, 2009 9:54 AM

Hi, has anyone made the William Street Socks available as a free pattern? I've made the foot and really don't understand the drawings and explanation that go along with the short row heel portion. 

Can someone help? I have a specific question, but don't want to throw it out in cyberspace unless I know someone has looked at the pattern. The link is here: http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/13977.aspx

Thanks!

Caroline

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 10:32 PM

Hi Caroline...

I haven't made the pattern...but I do have it. My version is the one that was part of the booklet w/ 5 sock patts fr here. I just looked @ your link + printed off p.2 that has the drawings. My version didn't have it.

I have made lots (!!!) of socks including ones w/ short row heels. I can usually "read" a patt fairly well w/o actually doing it. If you'de like...I'll be happy to try + help you sort out your problem. Just post back w/ what your ??? is...OK?

From what I've seen looking @ the patt + drawings..I'm guessing it's the shape you create while making the heel...that has you stumped??? As well as all the talk of yo over backwards + correcting the mount???

I have a suggestion. Take another 2 dpns...w/ some extra yarn...cast on 22 sts + knit a few rows as a base (5-6 is fine). Then try working the heel as given to see how it works out w/o endangering your actual sock. Some of this may make more sense then when you can actually see how it does or does not work out. It's not a lot of work to try this on scrap yarn.

If you want help...I'm here!!!

Take Care.....Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 11:03 PM

Hi....Just remembered something else. Somewhere there was a mention (in your patt version?) of there being an article by Ann Budd in the Interweave Knits Summer 2007 called "Beyond the Basics". It said you might find help w/ heels + toes for that pattern...in that article. Not sure if you have that issue...but thought I'de pass on the info.

Andrea 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
JudithB wrote
on Feb 14, 2009 9:47 AM

I've made a pair -- I'd be happy to take a crack at your question.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS