American knitter still lost in German cabling pattern!

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
disashter wrote
on Sep 1, 2013 4:50 PM

I'm a very picky pattern person, and when I find a pattern I want to pursue, I have to pursue it! It just so happens the pursued pattern is printed in German. I'd love to learn the language, and i'm trying my hand at translating this pattern. However I have some terms that I cant find translations for...

Are there any German speaking knitters participating in this forum? I could really use some guidance! Here are some terms that i cannot relate to any of the knitting terminology I know.

Kombinierter Kreuzanschlag - is this just a purl/knit long tail cast on, or something fancier? see link below v

http://utlindes-handarbeiten.blogspot.com/2012/03/ein-besonderer-anschlag-kombinierter.html

Anschlag and dazuanschlagen

Zopfmaschen

günstig  (all i get is "cheap" but how does it pertain to knitting)

the abbreviation "bzw"

and many more....ahh

I will appreciate any and all help, and though i've looked up a handful of knitting term translation lists, if you have any more i could look at i'd be willing!

Ash

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 138
chewchew wrote
on Sep 1, 2013 5:19 PM

I don't speak german, but for Daumenspickel - if you put a space between the n and the s - daumen spickel - that means thumb gussett.

Zopfmaschen - if you put a space in it - Zopf Machen- means make plait.  

Not sure if this helps any.  Hope someone who's more familiar with german can help.  

Not Ranked
Posts 3
disashter wrote
on Sep 1, 2013 5:30 PM

oh thats great thank you chewchew.

Only, whats a plait...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
Schnucki wrote
on Sep 2, 2013 4:22 AM

Hi Ash,

the "Kombinierter Kreuzanschlag" is in fact the longtail cast on they show in the pictures below.

"Anschlag" means "Cast on" as a noun while "anschlagen" means the same as a verb. "Dazu" means "additional(ly)".

"Zopfmaschen" are "cable stitches" (in plural, otherwise it would be "Zopfmasche").

"günstig" indeed means "cheap" but might as well mean "easy" in a wider meaning (for example one way to my workplace might be "günstiger" than another one. How would you translate that? May be "practical"?)

"bzw" can mean "and ... respectively· or rather· alternatively· as the case may be· or that is to say" (see www.linguee.de)

Good luck with your pattern!

Claudia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 138
chewchew wrote
on Sep 2, 2013 7:53 AM

Yea, someone who understands german better than me.  

By the way a "plait" is a cable pattern.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
Schnucki wrote
on Sep 2, 2013 8:49 AM

No wonder! German is my mother tongue Stick out tongue Please just let me know if you need any more help with your pattern.

Claudia

Not Ranked
Posts 3
disashter wrote
on Sep 2, 2013 12:50 PM

Thanks so much you two! I'm learning all sorts of new things haha.

Claudia, in the tutorial, I cant really figure out what she is preforming in those pictures. I know it says something about 1 purl and 2 knit. but the how to videos i've tried to search for dont look anything like the cast on she has created.

This part is a little confusing:

Masche: Der Daumenfaden führt nun von der Hand von hinten um den Daumen zur Nadel. Die Nadel wird in von oben durch den hinteren Daumenfaden geführt. Der Faden vom Zeigefinger wird durch die Daumenschlaufe geholt. Diese fallenlassen und festziehen.
 The needle is guided in from above by the thumb back yarn. or back of the thumb yarn? The thread is fetched from the index finger by the thumb grip. Drop and tighten this.
Es ist ein Päckchen entstanden dadurch,dass der Faden vorne um zwei Maschen führt.
Nun wird noch einmal der einfache Anschlag wie bei der 2. Masche gemacht. 
4. Masche: Der Daumenfaden führt von der Hand von außen um den Daumen. Die Nadel wird von unten durch den vorderen Daumenfaden geführt. Der Faden vom Zeigefinger durch die Daumenschlaufe geholt. Diese fallenlassen und festziehen.
Nun wird immer die 2. - 4. Masche wiederholt, bis genug Maschen angeschlagen sind. Die letzte Masche ist eine dritte Masche.
the needle goes up through from underneath the thumb yarn and fetches the index yarn is that what I see?
Oh boy if I cant even understand the cast on what will i do with the cable instructions haha

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
Schnucki wrote
on Sep 3, 2013 2:46 AM

Hi, it says:

"Stitch: The thumbthreat now gows from the hand backwards around the thumb to the needle. The needle is let from the top through the backwards thumbthread. Get the threat from the index finger through the thumbloop. Drop the thumbloop and pull tight.

By leading the threat around two stitches, you've got a package now.

Now make a simple CO like you did with the 2nd stitch.

4.Stitch: the thumbthreat leads from the hand backwards/from outside around the thumb. Stick the needle from below through the forward thumbthread. Pull the thread of the index finger through the thumbloop. Drop the thumbloop and pull tight.

Repeat the 2.-4. stitch until you have enough stitches. The last stitch should be a 3. one."

I hope that helps and please don't tell my english teacher about my bad orthography. She will make me return to school...Tongue Tied

All the best

Claudia

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS