Sweater Dresses and Skirts

This post has 2 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
BABS329 wrote
on Sep 16, 2013 10:43 PM

Hello, I am interested in knitting a sweater skirt and perhaps a sweater dress; my question is whether or not they have a tendency to stretch all out of shape after you wear them? Also, as a side question, do knit bags also stretch out of shape? Thank you for your help. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Raptorhaven wrote
on Sep 18, 2013 1:26 PM

As long as you use a good quality yarn, the only thing that really matters is the fit.  If you get the fit right, I can attest to the fact that a skirt will not change shape, even after sitting a long while.  I recommend a near body fit for the yoke area or the 4-5 inches from the waistband, the you need a minimum of the widest measurement of your hip area, plus maybe half an inch.  If you check out the lattice skirt I made from one of Gwen Bortner's beautiful patterns in the Skirt Issue of Knitter's Magazine on my Ravelry page (Raptorhaven), this is one of the skirts I am referencing.  I sit all day at work and it never shows a stretching of the hind area because the fit is perfect.

Good luck!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
on Jan 20, 2014 7:51 AM

Whether or not the skirt will stretch, depends on
1) type of yarn
2) pattern stitch/gauge

Acrylic yarns stretch a lot.  Sturdy cottons, linen and wool do not.

Delicate/pure wools may felt in areas that get a lot of friction (the seat).

Loosely knit/lacey patterns will stretch more.  Doing such patterns in pieces, then seaming will help control this some.  And/or keeping the top/waist section of the skirt tighter and having the lace/pattern only on the lower portion/ruffle/hem.

Garter stitch and cables won't stretch as much.

Knitting on the bias or sideways won't stretch as much.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS