Backing (or lining) a Knitted Blanket

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Boobangs Tongue Tied [:S] wrote
on Feb 19, 2009 10:44 AM

I am about to finish a crib size blanket with many color changes and therefore many floats, etc.  I would like to back (or line) it to avoid little finger catches and to hide my work!  This is a first for me and would appreciate any all instructions and suggestions.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Rosarae wrote
on Feb 19, 2009 10:55 AM

I've often thought about doing this myself but have never got around to it.  I thought a ready made polar fleece (don't know if its called that in your part of the world) might do the trick.  Any sort of brushed cottony stuff might do.  I'd be interested myself in what you do

Rae

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 19, 2009 5:16 PM

I am assuming the blanket will be washable, so I suggest a cotton muslin (also comes in colors) which is economical or maybe a cotton gingham check or a small print in a pale color to blend with all your color palette.  So both are washable and light weight. 

I hesitate to suggest a flannel or heavy material because it may make the blanket too heavy or too warm depending on the yarn used. ( you didn't mention what yarn you used, wool or cotton, or polyester blend ? etc.)  What yarn did you use in your blanket?

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Boobangs wrote
on Feb 21, 2009 7:17 AM

The yarn is a DK acrylic.  I agree that the bakcing should be light weight.  What are some tips/ techniques for attaching it?

Not Ranked
Posts 11
PattiB wrote
on Feb 21, 2009 5:54 PM

when I did this my baby blanket was made of a merino wool and I backed mine with a nice soft cotton flannel (the ones that babies can sleep in fire retardant) and I actually took my time making sure it was cut about 1/4" bigger than my blanket and then ironed the flannel with that 1/4" seam to make it easier to pin it to the back of the blanket.  I then just carefully hand stitched the two together.  (you can just use you sewing machine)  I just figured the rest of the blanket was all hand made I may as well finish the way I started.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Feb 21, 2009 8:36 PM

Hi...

One thing I would suggest is that you pre-wash both the blanket + the backing separately before joining. As they are different fibers + types...they may very well shrink differently. One may get shorter + wider. The other may only get shorter. Better to find out before the work of joining them. I would handsew them tog with small sts making sure there was sufficient stretch so the thread sts don't "pop" by accident. Doing an occasional back st will help too just in case one does "pop".

Take care.....Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 11
PattiB wrote
on Feb 22, 2009 5:47 AM

I seen a really pretty blanket that had a lining on it, about 1 or 2 " or so away from the edge-

The  edge of the blanket was an an additional one inch of st, st, with the last row ending with   k3, yo, k3,  to the end.-last row purl.(end with WS) making eyelets.

when the sewing along the edge was done you can fold over the knitted eyelet edge and have a clean yet fancy knit edge,  it looks really pretty, and protects the two that are knitted together, by having a second round of a sewn hem around the edges.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS