Rosemary cardigan - need help with sleeve

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Jill@11 wrote
on Oct 9, 2013 8:11 PM

I've completed the RIGHT SLEEVE instructions for the first paragraph to:  Shape sleeve cap using short rows as foll:

Now it tells me to K4, wrap next stitch and turn.

I don't have any more stitches to knit!  I've picked up the 28 at top of armhole, 29 at back armhole, and 17 saddle stitches.  Unless I join it, I don't understand how to keep knitting...  (joining is to be done after the short rows)

Help??

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 726
salmonmac wrote
on Oct 12, 2013 7:59 AM

If the joining doesn't happen til after the short rows then you should pick up sts in the order specified in the pattern and turn as you would normally at the end of a row. The next step is to k4, wrap, and turn again. Will that work with the rest of the pattern?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Jill@11 wrote
on Oct 13, 2013 12:22 AM

If I'm at the end of the row, where would i pick up stitches from unless I make the join to work in the round?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 726
salmonmac wrote
on Oct 13, 2013 8:23 AM

If you've already picked up these sts:  "I've picked up the 28 at top of armhole, 29 at back armhole, and 17 saddle stitches", and the directions don't tell you to pick up any others, then you don't need to pick up any more. It sounds like the end of the row is at the shoulder saddle (the top of the sleeve cap). Turn and work back on 4sts, then do the wrap and turn and proceed with the next direction (probably to knit some greater number of sts and again wrap and turn). From the driections you gave about joining in the round after the short rows, it sounds like the sleeve cap is knit flat and then the sleeve continues in the round down to the cuff. The idea of the short rows is to shape the cap before joining and knitting the rest of the sleeve.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS