Re-using cotton/linen blend yarn

This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
BridgetC@2 wrote
on Oct 18, 2013 10:57 AM

Hi - I just frogged a sweater I had been knitting (top-down) with a cotton/linen blend yarn.  I frogged it because it was turning out to be way too big for me.  

I would like to re-knit the sweater in a different size sometime, and use the same yarn.  Is this likely to work?  I know that cotton and linen are both yarns without memory, so to speak, so I don't know if that means any already used yarn would not knit up again in a decent fashion.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks, Bridget

Not Ranked
Posts 1
AnnieWest wrote
on Oct 18, 2013 3:42 PM

Hi, Bridget...I believe you can unravel what you've knitted up so far, and then wind the yarn on a niddy-noddy (yarn blocker?) to create skeins. These should be tied securely so as not to tangle, and then washed very gently in mild suds in cold water. The skeins can then be hung up to dry (I often use plastic hangers, looping the skein over the hanging hook); a small weight, like a fishing weight or something similar, can be used to slightly stretch the skein-the idea is to straighten out whatever ripples/marks are left from being knitted. Because you are working with a cotton/linen blend, you should end up with the yarn looking almost like it did when you first bought it. Hope this works for you (apologies for the long-windedness!)

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS