Problem with knitting a simple scarf... help?

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
mag229 wrote
on Oct 18, 2013 2:35 PM

I am knitting a 12 stitch wide scarf.  I simply knitted the first 2 inches... and then I kitted 2, then "stockinette " the next 8 stitches, and knit the last 2 stitches in each row.  I am about 8 inches into the scarf and have notice that the stockinette portion is sagging or cupping in the middle... I know that stockinette tends to roll on the edges (that why I knitted the end and the edges) ... is this a common problem ?  I was thinking of beginning a cable in the middle now ... to limit the cupping... and then end the scarf with the same cupping stockinette  (as if that is what I wanted:)!

What do you think?  and /or any suggestions.  I am rather a novice knitter.  I only know k/p stitches... and just learned or am learning the cable ... Thank you ... oH btw... I need this done by Sunday a.m.   .... (perhaps I should purchase a gift and work on this for Christmas)  :)   ! Maggie B

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
on Oct 18, 2013 5:51 PM

Let me see if I understand you.  You are knitting a scarf.  The center of the scarf is in stockinette.  The borders/edges/ends of the scarf are in garter stitch (knit on both the RS and WS).  You did the edges to prevent curling (good for you) but now think the center is "cupping."

First off, 2sts on either side/edge will probably not be enough to prevent curling.  So, the "cupping" you are seeing may be some curling.  I'm not sure what gauge yarn you are using (think or thin), but if you can (thinner yarn), I would add a few more sts to the scarf and work 4 sts on either side/edge for the border.

It may also be that the "cupping" is just a reflection that your stockinette is a looser gauge/tension than your edges/ends.  People tend to purl looser than they knit.  Since stockinette has purls (on the WS) it will be a tad looser than garter stitch (knits on both sides).  Some of this will work out with practice.

Finally, depending on the fabric, a bit of blocking when you are finished will even out all of your sts and make everything lay flat/even.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS